Guardian 24,316 Taupi – Lanstriterate

Posted by neildubya on February 20th, 2008

neildubya.

Quite straightforward, with a pleasing lack of green dolphins (see yesterday’s puzzle)

ACROSS

1 PERI-PAT(h)ETIC : “peri” is a new one on me, but wiki has a good entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peri

9 E-ROSIV-E : (VISOR) reversed in two E(ast)s

10 CORS-AIR : nice – sounds like “coarse air”

11 TA-RANTULA : TA +(NATURAL)*

12 SAT-IN

13 EASE – don’t get it – anyone ?

14 RED ADMIRAL – (MARRIED LAD)* – the Red Admiral butterfly is Vanessa Atalanta

16 B-RIGHTNESS

19 SNOT – gross ! It’s TONS backwards.

20 AVA(I)L – LAVA reversed with an I

5 TI(RE-SO)ME : I’m hazy on the wordplay here

6 CHAPTER AND VERSE – (SERVANT PREACHED)*

8 T(RAN-SLIT-ER)ATE

15 S(HILL)ING

17 Omitted on purpose

18 SOUP-CON

22 DELT-A : is it meant to be DEALT with “A” at the end ?

10 Responses to “Guardian 24,316 Taupi – Lanstriterate”

1. conradcork says:

13ac Let is lease, = ease with the start off.

2. Stocky says:

5 dn
    Not sure I’m adding much to what you’ve already put, but I think wordplay is “time” carrying re=on and so=in this way.

3. beermagnet says:

22D Yes. That’s how I read it: “A becoming conclusion” means take the A and stick it at the end of the word.

4. Amnesiac says:

18D – Though I got the answer (and I think it’s a bit naughty having Ç being used for the beginning of 23A), I still can’t see how “picked up positive reply about” means “put CON after”; I could make “picked up negative reply about” work (C (NO)

5. Amnesiac says:

…tag failure again, sorry: that should end: (C (ON)<)

6. Amnesiac says:

… (C (NO)<). I’ll go and hide now…

7. George Foot says:

I am still completely mystified by 18D apart from soupcon meaning a hint. All the comments so far haven’t helped. can someone spell it out a bit more?

8. beermagnet says:

18D SOUPCON sounds like “Soup’s on” – so “Picks up” is the homophone indicator; “Positive reply about broth from waiter” is “Soup’s on”; “hint” is the def.

9. hillclimber says:

Enjoyed this,though was a bit slow again………..

My favourites were 10a, good wordplay, 22d, as noted, removing the a & placing it at the end, & I also quite liked 7d, esp the first part- “Hot leaves, grain and aromatic consumed……..”
    Simple but effective :-)

10. George Foot says:

Many thanks for explanation of soupcon.