Guardian 24,320 (Arachne)

Posted by diagacht on February 25th, 2008

diagacht.
1 TESTAMENT: the male organ is presumably STAMEN but I can’t get offensive from TET
9 THE BEGGARS OPERA: anagram of A BERG’S GREAT HOPE
10 ROUT: gROUT firing German (g)
14 DIARRHOEA: anagram of A HORRID + EA (is EA an abbreviation for enema?)
16 SASHA: SAS and HA (Hawaii); I think this must be right but I thought the abbreviation for Hawaii is HI
18 TOLERANCE: anagram of TO CLEANER
20 EGO IDEAL: EGO + ID (physchological concepts) + EA (each) + L (last letter of theoretical)
25 PUT ON A BRAVE FACE: &Lit
26 REEVE: hidden in raRE EVErglades
27 TIGERS EYE: TIGERS (those who are determined) + EYE (to look); tiger’s eye is a chatoyant gemstone (apparently)
1 TUTOR: TUT + OR (ordinary ranks)
2 SPECULA: U (head of urology) in anagram of PLACES
5 THREE BALLS: clearly right as it is the pawnbroker’s sign but ‘over half shunned’?
6 MOONRAKERS: MOONRAKER (Bond film) + S (singular); moonrakers are sails that fly above the skysail
7 SLEDGED: SL (Sri Lankan openers) + EDGED (to play a poor stroke in cricket)
8 STARSTONE: STARS + T (ultimately covet) + ONE (a particular kind)
12 BREAK DANCE: anagram of BAD NECK EAR
13 PORT TALBOT: PORT (left) + TALBOT (breed of dog)
14 DISTEMPTER: D (doctor) + IS (lives) + TEMPER (alleviate)
17 SCOTTIE: S (small) + COT (bed) + TIE (like perhaps a dicky bow)
19 NEONATE: NEON (gas) + ATE (corrosive)
22 THEME: T (time) + HEM (edge) + E (energy)
23 YANG: hidden in malaYAN Gkossary

11 Responses to “Guardian 24,320 (Arachne)”

1. Chris says:

Tet offensive:

2. tuck says:

1ac Tet as in the Vietcong offensive in 1968 in Vietnam

3. Dan says:

EA is EnemA purged (middle letters removed)…

4. Peter Owen says:

5 down
    An over is six balls so if you shun half of it you are left with three balls.

Minor correction to 1 down
    In military parlance OR is “other ranks” rather than “ordinary ranks”.

5. Petero says:

5D: I wrote it in, but I’ve only just got it: an over is six balls….

6. Shirley says:

14A The middle of EnemA is purged to give you the EA. Quite clever I thought!

7. Comfy Settee says:

NEONATE came up in a very recent Nimrod in the Indy…

8. rightback says:

Please could someone explain 24dn? Is it HEIR? [Clue: We meet king's successor (4) - ?E?R] The best I can come up with is ‘We’ = ‘he and I’ = HEI (+ R for king), but that’s ridiculous.

I got pretty bogged down on this – couldn’t fathom THREE BALLS (obvious now!), ROUT or PEERAGES (as I didn’t know the homophone ‘pierages’) and had ‘eagle’s eye’ for TIGER’S EYE for a while.

9. Paul B says:

It’s HE and I plus R, where ‘he and I’ are ‘we’, and ‘meet king’.

And were I in a position to veto that construction …

10. Stan says:

Well thanks a lot Arachne for putting a load of extremely bad music in my head – “Eye of the Tiger”, Bond Themes …

11. fgbp says:

Re Paul B’s comment – that’s a construction which certainly should be vetoed. It’s little things like that which make some clues needlessly impenetrable.