Independent Crossword 6664 by Mordred

Posted by NealH on February 25th, 2008

NealH.

* = anag, < = reversed, () = dropped letter

A good mixture of clues, with some quite tough ones (like 8 across) and some fairly easy. I quite enjoyed it, but it might require a bit too much general knowledge for some people.

8 Umbrella: bill with re instead of i (brell) enclosed in Uma (Thurman)
10 Feta: F + (ate)<
11 Ginger snap: Reference to Geri Halliwell aka Ginger spice.
12 Parietal: (e + partial)*. I’ve not seen E used as an abbreviation for Earth much before.
14 Embalm: (lab m in me)<
18 Metal: homophone of “mettle”.
19 Undo: un (clued as “a local” i.e. locally in France, I suppose) + do.
24 Transistor: I wasn’t sure about this one – clue is “The right answer is accompanied by radio, primarily”. Obviously, it’s alluding to the fact that transistor can be prefaced by radio, but I’m not sure if there is also some other wordplay.
27 Euro: Bread = money.
29 Self Sown: Self’s own. Reference to Will Self, a writer.

1 Amoeba ?: Didn’t really get this. “Former president of Morocco promoted a parasite”. Is it the name of a Moroccan president going backwards ? Not knowing much about Morocco, I can’t say.
2 Irrational: Ir + ration + al(l)
3 Slight: I’m assuming last of lungs (s) + “light” for heaved up.
4 Tarn: Tarn is a river and region in the Pyrenees + a name for a mountain lake.
6 Pass(e)
15 Blue Cheese: Semi cryptic def (more than ripe means more than saucy i.e. blue).
17 Tea break: Referring to tea being an anagram of eat.
18 Madrigal: (A mad girl)*
22 Hurt + l + e. Referring to John Hurt, the actor best know for having an alien burst out of his stomach. Quite impressive to get both “Shine” and Geoffrey Rush, the star of the film, in the same clue, although some people might object to essentially being used for the middle letter of “excelling”.
23 Sprawl: Soundalike of “Spall” (Timothy, an actor who’s been in several of Mike Leigh’s films) around “r”.
25 Need: What wanting means.
26 Test: Clued by the “means” in 25..

12 Responses to “Independent Crossword 6664 by Mordred”

1. nmsindy says:

I think AMOEBA is ABE O MA reversed. Culture references threw me a bit – and there’s a dedication in the NW – SE diagonal.

2. Jon says:

Easiest Monday for a few weeks, I thought.

re: 24ac. It’s tempting to go for first letter(s) T Right ANSwer, then IS, but I can’t see then where the TOR would come from?

3. nmsindy says:

Jon, I think TO = ‘accompanied by’

4. NealH says:

So it’s meant to be t + r + ans + is + to + r (first letter of radio) ? I’m still not convinced by the wordplay. Unless “t” is an accepted abbreviation for “the”, the “primarily” then seems to be indicating the first letter of both “the” and “radio”. In that case why doesn’t it also then apply to “is” and “to” ?

5. nmsindy says:

T is an abbreviation for ‘The’, used more in ‘advanced’ crosswords than the daily cryptics. Similarly o’ for ‘of’ in AMOEBA.

6. Paul B says:

24 is an &lit shurely: T/ R/ ANS/ IS/ TO/ R seems absolutely sound, whilst also happening – although devious Mordred may have had something to do with it – to define the req’d word.

7. rightback says:

3dn (SLIGHT): This is LIGHTS (= ‘the lungs of an animal’) with the last letter ‘heaved up’ to the top. (But like you I spent a good while wondering why ‘light’ should equal ‘heaved up’!)

T for ‘the’, O for ‘of’ etc are fine in barred puzzles but I’m not sure they’re appropriate for daily cryptics. When beginners ask how clues work, this is the sort of thing that (understandably) baffles them into not asking again.

8. Jon says:

I notice also that the crosswords on-line seem to be somewhat out of date… Has there been a change of policy as regards publishing that day’s crossword, or just a technical hitch?

9. Richard Palmer says:

As well as t = the, o = of mentioned above, un = one or a (in 19A) as a dialect word given in Chambers is usually found only in advanced crosswords.

24A is an & lit clue. I’m happy with all the constituent parts except accompanied by = to which I can’t see is justified by any of the dictionary definitions of to.

10. Testy says:

Yes I’m not happy about TO either. I can just about construct a sentence where they might be interchangeable (he sang to the sounds of his friend’s guitar) but I wouldn’t say that makes them synonymous.

11. eimi says:

No change of policy. The system relies on someone in the online department putting the crossword in on the correct date. They seem to have sorted it out now.

12. Paul B says:

‘Accompanied by’ for TO is given, quite prominently, in Collins, the dictionary Indy setters like to refer to. Believe me I did try very hard to fault that &lit, but it seems just fine.