Independent 6667 / Nimrod

Posted by tilsit on February 28th, 2008

tilsit.

Solving time: 25 minutes.

Quite devious from young Nimrod today with a couple of ambiguous solutions until you get the intersecting answers.  Very enjoyable with a couple of forehead slapping moments.

ACROSS  (*) = Anagram   (CD) = Cryptic def   (R) = Reversal

8  MIGNONNE   MIG (Russian Fighter Plane) +  NONE (love, as in tennis) around N (new).

9  OPEN UP   O U P  (Oxford Uni Press) with PEN inside

10 JEJUNE    (CD)  How a stammerer might pronounce the seasonal time!

11  THE STARS  Double def.

12  WENT OVER THE EDGE   I had GONE instead of WENT at first.  THE EDGE is bassist with U2.

13  PERSONA NON GRATA  PER = A (as in miles per hour) ANON in SONG + RAT + A.

16  TURNED A BLIND EYE   EYED NIL BAD E.N. RUT  (All reversed) & lit.  Very clever.

19  CELLARET  EL +  EARL* inside CT

20 HEARTS     A in HERTS

21  MIMOSA   MO inside AIMS*

22  EINSTEIN     (CD)  Nice clue.

DOWN

1  RIB-EYE     I BE in RYE

2  IN QUOTES   Anag of QUESTION   -  nice deceptive clue!

3  UNLEAVENED BREAD     BANDLEADER VENUE*

4  BETTER AND BETTER    (CD)

5 SOMETHING IN HAND  (cd)  ref Bridge and other card games.

6  SEETHE  SEE (Date)   on THE

7 OUTRIGHT   OUT + RIGHT

14  EAU DE VIE  ODOUR (Homophone) +  VIE (Contend)

15  REDRAFTS    RED +  RAFTS

17  NELSON   As in wrestling hold and history

18  YTTRIC  TT + I CRY*

8 Responses to “Independent 6667 / Nimrod”

1. Testy says:

I thought this was great. Lots of clues ot admire. Very impressed with 16: Saw nothing “untoward” – nurse’s “routine” rounds? But wasn’t sure why all the quotation marks were there.

The “pecking order” bit for Nelson seemed very familiar, has something similar been used before to clue “Kiss me Hardy”?

I also initially had GONE for 12A andI found it quite difficult due to the 6 long interesecting clues (all with <50% checking) which prevented me from getting into the corners.

2. neildubya says:

I thought this was one of the best Nimrod puzzles I’ve solved. As you say 16a was very cleverly done as was the cheeky 2d. One query though: where does the A in 20a come from?

3. Testy says:

I think it’s “one near midfield” i.e. “A” near the middle of HERTS.

4. Jon says:

Yes, very tricky, but very good. Liked 18d. The Edge is lead guitarist with U2, BTW…

5. NealH says:

I didn’t really get the stuff about “pecking order” for Nelson. I could only think it was something to do with Nelson’s column and pigeons.

6. Testy says:

When Nelson was dying, one of the last things he said was “Kiss me Hardy!” to Thomas Hardy, the captain of the HMS Victory. Hence he was the originator of the famous pecking (=kissing) order.

7. petebiddlecombe says:

Good stuff, though I really struggled to get started. My better half’s better knowledge of U2 made quite a difference.

8. Ali says:

Nice puzzle, but not ashamed to admit I finished 5 clues short on this one as it was pretty tough. Would never have got yttric.

Ali