Posted by Pete Maclean on March 6th, 2008
Here is one of those characteristic Cinephile themed puzzles, this one with a fairly easy theme to spot — chickens.
1. CAPONE – CAPON (bird) + E (energy)
4. ASSAILED – ASS (fooled) + AILED (was poorly)
9. INMATE – IN (trendy) + MATE (finish on board)
10. COQ AU VIN – QA (question and answer) + U (you said) + V in COIN (money). I do not see how the V is clued.
12. KARELIAN – anagram of LAKE + RAIN
13. BANTAM – double definition
16, 20. NONESUCH – NONES (day in Rome) + U (universal) + CH (church)
16. PHENOTYPIC – PHENO[l] (carbolic acid almost) + TYPIC[al] (characteristic almost)
19. POACHED EGG – double/cryptic definition
23. CEMENT – ME (setter) in CENT (money)
25. OMELETTE – hidden word. Perhaps somewhat obvious but still one of the best hidden-word clues I have seen.
27. HANDICAP – anagram of CHAIN PAD
28. SCARAB – RA (Sun god) in SCAB (blackleg)
30. TERROR – T (time) + ERROR (slip). Great surface!
1, 29. CHICKEN MARYLAND – CHIC (smart) + KEN (boy) + MARY (girl) + LAND (win)
2. POMERANIA – anagram of A ROMAN PIE
3. NETTLE – double definition
6. A LA CARTE – cryptic definition referencing D’Oyly Carte Opera Company
7. LOVAT – LO (see) + VAT (tax)
8. DYNAMIC – MANY backwards in CID (police)
11. CATHODE – THO (in spite of briefly) in CADE (rebel)
14. ENDGAME – anagram of AGED MEN
17. POULTERER – PO (river) + ULT (last month) + ERER (Queens)
18. SHANKILL – SHANK (part of leg) + ILL (needing treatment)
19. PECKHAM – PECK (bird to go for) + HAM (meat)
21. HEEL BAR – ELBA (island) in HER (the lady)
22. CLICHE – C (about) + LICHE[n] (fungoid growth is pointless)
24. MINOR – homophone
26, 5. PAWNSHOP – PAWNS (chessmen) + HOP (behave like halma men). Halma is a Greek board game with a lot of jumping in it.