Guardian 24333/Paul

Posted by Colin Blackburn on March 12th, 2008

Colin Blackburn.

Hurredly done Paul. Fairly straightforward for Paul with a just couple of words I had to check and some devilish word play in places

9,8,6,22d IF YOU CAN’T BEAT THEM JOIN THEM cd typical single large answer. You either guess it from the enumeration or the clue early, in which case the rest of the puzzle is easier. Or, like me you fail to have an inkling for far too long. Ref. Panel beating.
10 HEAVE HEAVE(n)
11 DUDGEON DUD+G+EON
12 LAMBENT (quee)N in LAMBET(h) Lambeth Palace is home to the Archbishop of Canterbury. I didn’t know this word.
13 BROWN BROW+(cardiga)N
14 LAMPOONER O in (PLAN MORE)*
16 EVENING STANDARD EVEN+IN + STAND in DRAG< clever wordplay…
19,2 TOURETTES SYNDROME SETTER< in (STUDY ON)* + ROME …and again.
21 CAPON CAP ON
22 TICKLER L(over) in TICKER
23 STAUNCH dd
24 EVANS E+VANS
25 GRUMBLING APPENDIX cd?
1 WILDEBEEST (trough)S in WILDE+BEET
4 DAMN dd
5 STALEMATES STALE MATES
7 TAVERN REV< in TAN ref Rev Green in Cluedo. Green Man is a classic pub name.
14 LIGHTERAGE (GARETH+G(et))< in LIE
15 RIDING HIGH “hiding rye” Spoonerised
17 IDEALIST IDEA LIST
20 UNCLAD UNCL(e)+(d)AD tricky one.
21 CRABBY R in CABBY
23,3 SOUP TUREEN (UP NOSE TRUE)*

9 Responses to “Guardian 24333/Paul”

1. dave brown says:

Dont understand Very mild oath = damn. Can see oath = damn but where does very mild come in?

2. Andrew says:

Inspired by Colin’s invitation, and having a day off work, I managed to finish this one in about 20 minutes – quite quick for a Paul for me, but with a few niggles. So here’s my stab at a full blog.

9,8,6,22D: IF YOU CAN’T BEAT THEM, JOIN THEM – reference to panel-beating, but not much of a clue, unless I’m missing something.
    10 HEAVE(n)
    11 DUD-G-EON
    12 LAMBENT – N in LAMBET(H). Nice misleading use of “Queen’s back” to mean N rather than RE (ER reversed)
    13 BROW-N. Can’t quite convince myself this is sound, but it is Paul after all…
    14 LAMPOONER – (PLAN MORE O)*
    16 EVENING STANDARD – EVEN IN + STAND in DRAG rev.
    19,2 TOURETTE’S SYNDROME – SETTER rev in (STUDY ON)* + ROME. Tourette’s sufferers supposedly have uncontrolled outbursts of swearing.
    21,22 – deliberately omitted (but easy)
    23 STAUNCH – can’t understand the wordplay here: I think STANCH = ‘check’, but why ‘amount lost’?
    24 E-VANS
    25,18 GRUMBLING APPENDIX – is this just a cryptic def?

1 WILDE-BEE(S)T
    4 DAMN – confirmed by the online “check” facility, but I don’t like this: I think it’s 2 meanings : “very” – as in “very good” = “damn good”, and “mild oath”, but the “very” meaning is really a direct consequence of the oathiness.
    5 (Omitted)
    7 TAVERN – REV (reversed) in TAN. Ref to the character “Reverend Green” in Cluedo. I got this before 13, helping me to get BROWN there.
    14 LIGHTERAGE – refers to loading (etc) by lighters, a lighter being “a large open boat used in unloading and loading ships”. Can’t work out the wordplay here.
    15 RIDING HIGH – cf HIDING RYE.
    17 IDEA-LIST – nice “aha!” moment when I got this
    20 UNCLAD – presumably from UNCL(e)+(d)AD
    21 C(R)ABBY
    23,3 SOUP TUREEN – (UP NOSE TRUE)*

3. Andrew says:

To explain my long posting to late arrivals: originally there was just an apology from Colin for late posting, plus an invitation for others to comment or blog in full.

Re STAUNCH – I can now see it as a dd – “check amount lost” being one def. STANCH is apparently just an alternative spelling.

4. Colin Blackburn says:

Dave, DAMN = very. As in, “That was damn close”. It is also a mild oath on its own, “Damn! That was close.”

5. Colin Blackburn says:

Andrew, I guess we were both editing at the same time. I also see you answered Dave’s query.

6. Andrew says:

Yes indeed. I still think 4D is a very weak clue, as the two defs are virtually the same. The answer could just as well be DARN, which is perhaps more clearly a “mild oath”.

7. Colin Blackburn says:

In Paul’s defence, DAMN is defined in both Chambers and Collins as an intensifier under a separate sub-heading to the main entry as an oath. Though clearly its use as an intensifier is derived from its use as an oath.

8. Stuart says:

14d: Lighterage – LIGHTERAGE lie is the interrupted rest, gareth is the boy and g is the beginning of get, these last are reversed (up)

9. Will says:

But wait a minute. I don’t really like this. Granted, I didn’t think of ‘damn’ specifically. But I did think of ‘darn’, which has the same uses but is even milder!

Surely a bit weak.