Guardian, 24334 (Puck)

Posted by diagacht on March 12th, 2008

diagacht.
1 HEATER: (t)HEATER
4 SCOWLING: COW in SLING
9 GOYAS: GOY (gentile) + AS
10 CASANOVAS:A NOVA in CASS. Giovanni Jacopo is Casanova but not sure if I have the decode right
11 JOHN DONNE:HND (higher national diploma) in JOON (sounds like JUNE) and NE (new English)
13 MONOCHROMIST: anagram of M CHOIR ON TOMS
17,22,2 YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SAY ANYTHING: As in police caution and mum’s the word.
21 CHESTNUTS: anagram of STENCH and STU (shortened stud)
23 RED DEVILS: anagram of ELVIS DED (dead with the article ‘a’1) and R (right). Refers to the display unit that is Manchester United.
24 SCALD: anagram of AL S (Stewart’s first) CD
26 ONE BY ONE: as in 11 (eleven) is one alongside one. Spent some time wondering how this clue related to John Donne!
26 WYVERN: WY (heartless way) + VERN (does this relate to Jules Verne and if so how do we lose the final e?)

3 EASED: EASE(l) with L (50) multiplied by 10 to make D (500)
5 COSTERMONGERS: anagram of SORT ME in CONGERS
6 WONDERS AT: anagram of TOWERS AND
8 GUSHER: G (good) + USHER
10 CONTRADICTION: DI in CONTRACTION
14 CROTCHETY: CROTCHET (note) + Y (end of day)
15 SATURATE: TUR (half turtle) in anagram of AT SEA
18 HAIRDO: H (hospital) + anagram of RADIO
19 STODGE: S (seconds) + TODGE (todger without the r)

13 Responses to “Guardian, 24334 (Puck)”

1. Chris says:

“Red devils” refers not to Manchester United but to this lot: http://www.reddevilsonline.com/

2. Peter Owen says:

In 26 across VERNE is de-tailed.

3. Paul B says:

Chris! To be fair to diagacht, I think he has it covered regarding display teams, or units.

4. Comfy Settee says:

Nope, Chris is right….

5. Shirley says:

7D Can anyone tell us why this is Irving? We got Washington and Berlin, but what has it to do with Graves?
    Thanks

6. Paul B says:

Was he (diagacht) not referring to the fact that the display team (he called it a ‘display unit’) shares a nickname with Man U?

7. George Foot says:

For once I’ve got to answer a query before anyone else! 7D. DIRGE less D&E with VIN in the middle. Grave is a ‘vin’.

8. Testy says:

Sure ManU are also called the Red Devils but the clue is presumably just referring to the skydivers and not the football team.

9. owenjonesuk says:

Is it just me or is the whole willy = todger thing a bit too risque? I was very shocked when I got it.

10. radchenko says:

I have no problems with the willy, todger, whatever. Why is that shocking?

I thought that the references to 11 were very cleverly misleading, for example in 20 (9 by 11!) = IC rather than poem by John Donne, and in 26.

But taking the last letter of a word, interpreting it as a roman numeral, multiplying it by ten, re-interpreting the result as a character, to replace the letter you first thought of — I found this a few too many levels of indirection.

11. Paul B says:

And so (re Red Devils) was not diagacht making that connection for fun? Sorry, but I can’t see how he is mistaken, or wrong, in this regard.

12. Garry says:

I thought 19d was hilarious as did most of the other cruciverbalists I showed it to.

13. fgbp says:

Coming to this way too late, having just solved it – but the clue “Old Bill’s mum’s OK” is a classic. I also had no problem with changing EASEL to EASED. That shows I’ve been doing this sort of thing far too long!
    I seem to remember sticking up for Puck ags ago when his first puzzle drew a lot of criticism – I feel vindicated now :-)