Guardian 24,341 – Quantum

Posted by manehi on March 20th, 2008

manehi.

Apologies for the brief blog, but a host of things came up and I’ve only just found time to solve this. It was quite tricky, and I haven’t the time to think some clues through or google them, so please correct me/ help me out.

1 SLAP ON THE WRIST – guessed from enumeration and checking letters, don’t really get the clue.
9 ARTICHOKE – (irate)* around CH OK
11 GABLE – B in GALE, and ref. Clark Gable in Gone with the Wind
12 WAISTLINE – (instil awe)*
13 DRY STONE – dry + (onest)*
14 GENERA(l)
17 GASBAG – GAG around (BA’s)*, but I don’t see an anagrind
19 FEVERISH – (verse)* inside F(ellow) I(n) H(urry)
22 TEAR AWAY S
25 REPLY – don’t get the second part of this clue
26 ANCESTRAL – (Lancaster)*
27 PLASTIC SURGERY – surge=swell inside (arty clips)*
1 SHAGGY DOG STORY – cryptic def, I suppose
2 ATTABOY – (boat)* in (Tay)*
3 ORCHESTRA – I think this is OR, CHEST, RA, RA being the Royal Artillery=gunners, but don’t know what OR is for
4 TOOK WING
6 REMIT – rev(timer)
8 TELEPATHICALLY – cryptic def
15 EXERCISER – is there something more to the clue that I haven’t spotted?
16 BEDSOCKS – beds=Bedfordshire OC=officer commanding, K(eep)S
18 SCALPEL – (collapse)* without the ring=”o”
21 SAFARI – SI is the note, around A FAR
23 A,BY,SS

10 Responses to “Guardian 24,341 – Quantum”

1. Kate Wild says:

I think 25a is “reap lie” (sounds like reply) A whopper being a lie. I didn’t get OR in 3d either. Something to do with Royal Ordnance?? Also 21d I didn’t get why SI is a note. ps I’ve checked my answers on this site for a while now – and this is the first time I’ve been able to advise about a clue! I’m happy.

2. Shirley says:

3d OR are Other Ranks. I didn’t know what SI was either, but according to the OED it’s another term for the note “Te” as in Doh,reh,me,fah,so,lah,TE,doh.

3. Amnesiac says:

1a A carpeting is a telling off, so a slap on the wrist would be a soft carpeting…

4. Amnesiac says:

25a across sounds like “reap lie”

1a carpeting = reprimand
    25a reap,lie – don’t much like it!
    3d OR – other ranks, soldiers
    5d eye, lid[o]
    15d couldn’t see more to this either
    20d in,verse double definition
    agree with Kate about 21d!

6. Paul B says:

I cannot confess to being among Quantum’s fans, but ‘soft carpeting’? Yes please, that’s excellent.

7. Amnesiac says:

17a The anagrind is “moving”
    21d “si” is an alternative to the more commonly used “ti” or “te” in the do-re-mi scale.

8. Amnesiac says:

…and I should be more careful in reading other people’s comments. That’s two answers that someone else has already given. At least the other two are original…

9. diagacht says:

Given that you were under pressure today I thought this was a really good blog – you’ve set a high standard here.

10. manehi says:

Thanks for all the comments, tried to reply earlier but the site doesn’t seem fond of terminal based web browsers – I’d never heard of a carpeting, or OR.. kicked myself a bit over “reap lie”. I think I’ve seen si=note in quite a few crosswords before.