Independent 6690 by Dac

Posted by nmsindy on March 26th, 2008

nmsindy.

Very tough today, and some excellent misdirection by Dac.  Solving time, 39 mins.    A little rushed today- one not fully understood yet, but verified using ‘Reveal’ that I got it right.

* = anagram

ACROSS

1 SUM O  all round

3 THUMB’S CREW

9 AFRO  (for a)*

10 BOOK GROUPS

12 PAST ORALS

13 RILKE   R (like)*

14 STUD MUFFINS   (F must find us)*  & lit

18 NIGHT-IN G ALE

21 (c) O (DO) UR (t)

22 RE CALLING

24 MAGNUM OPUS    Virgil wrote in Latin

25 PIC A (old film classification, I think)

26 ST AND ST ILL

11 COMMON GROUND

16 MAXIM (r)ISE(r)

17 BELGRADE    “belle”

18 COMMIS erates

20 BORGIA  I in (Garbo)*

23 C HURL

6 Responses to “Independent 6690 by Dac”

1. Neil says:

4D HOO(c)H A – hooch as in liquor.

2. Testy says:

24A It’s a shame Dac didn’t give one of his colleagues a name-check. It could so easily have been “Virgilius’s great work”.

Thanks for explaining 1A and 22A.

3. NealH says:

Finished it apart from the words I’d never heard of. Never come across a commis chef (but then again my cooking doesn’t get much beyond spaghetti bolognaise) or a studmuffin (even knowing it was an anagram didn’t help). I wasn’t particularly keen on the way specific people were used in the clues without putting a “say” or “e.g.”: to me, if you say Gordon Ramsay’s assistant, it must be the name of someone who helps him rather than a general word for a chef.

4. Wil Ransome says:

Tricky, I thought, but not nearly so tough as some I’ve seen in the Indy. Nobody commented on 9ac, which I thought was brilliant. I could’t understand all that stuff about the 1950s in 25ac. “… old film aimed at adults”?

5. beermagnet says:

Ref 25A: I believe the film classifications in the 50s and 60s were U (Universal) which is still in use, A (Adult) and X (covering sex and horror). I think A equates roughly to today’s category 12 or 15, and X to 18 (though I suspect the age limit for X films was originally 16). Many old films original classified X are now reclassified 15.

6. Sam says:

I couldn’t see past ‘hair raiser’ for 10a.