Independent 6691/Nimrod

Posted by neildubya on March 27th, 2008

neildubya.
1 (TURN TAIL HOME VIA)* – ITALIAN VERMOUTH, otherwise known as IT as in “Gin and It”. But how can “orbital” be an anagram indicator?
9 RY in TON – not difficult given the definition “test clothes” but I didn’t understand why “style” was TON until I looked it up.
10 T,W (AFTER [-n]OO[-n])* – TWO FOR TEA. Mostly an &lit, although “no names” only works in the cryptic reading I think.
11 EQUUS – Peter Shaffer’s play about a boy who has “issues” with horses.
12 RUGBY BALL – the clue refers to 15 but it’s nothing to do with the answer at 15a as there are 15 players in an RU side.
13 (THIS GREY E)* – EYES RIGHT.
15 BOLUS – which is a “mass” but I don’t understand “heading for the pit”.
18 (VOICES DID)* – VIDEO DISC.
24 POT OF GOLD – got this from the definition as the wordplay is lost on me: “Rainbow’s end/coq-au-vin/corporation?” (setter’s italics). OR is “gold” but that’s all I can work out. Also, what happened to the idea of the surface reading of a clue making at least some sense?
25 BATIK – had to use the Reveal button to get this, another one I don’t get: “Dyed fabric article with which kitbag’s two thirds filled up”.
26 TWENTY-FOUR SEVEN – 24(a) is where you’ll find POT OF GOLD and 7(d) is ULTRA (“extremely”).

1 (I TEMPT NEON LIGHT)* – IN THE MELTING-POT.
3 INN IS FREE – a reference to the Yeats poem “The Lake Isle of Innisfree”.
5 (LEG AND TOE)* – ELONGATED. Why could “and” appear in the clue instead of “&”?
7 hidden in “adULT RAcy”
16 (TOILET VIM)* – LEITMOTIV.
20 SETAE – another one where I had to “Reveal” and which I don’t understand: “Stalks top-class babe, just looking at rear!”.
22 (HAD US)* – SADHU.

11 Responses to “Independent 6691/Nimrod”

1. Colin Blackburn says:

25 is A in KITB reversed (ie 2 thirds of kitbag).
    24 AU is also gold. I guess all three terms could be described as a POT OF GOLD. Doesn’t strike me as a great explanation and I agree about the surface.

2. Colin Blackburn says:

20 SET-A + (bab)E. ‘Top class’ might be ‘set A’

3. nmsindy says:

POT OF GOLD I think it may refer to two ‘pots’ for cooking and the stomach (corporation).
    I understood BATIK all right but the construction suggested a down clue. A much easier Nimrod than the one I blogged last week.

4. NealH says:

I found this very difficult. I’m not great when it’s a word I’ve never heard of and there were quite a few of those. I almost got 25 across except I thought it was abtik rather than batik.

The no names in two for tea does just about work, because you haven’t identified who the people coming to tea are. I thought 15 down was excellent, although it didn’t get a mention in the blog. Also, the misleading reference to 15 in 12 across was quite clever.

I didn’t really get 4 down – “Recording angel perhaps preventing drama in hospital”. I guessed it was noter from the recording bit but I’m not sure what it’s got to do with hospitals.

5. neildubya says:

4d – I read this as NOT ER (ER being the US medical drama).

6. Jon says:

I’m glad I wasn’t the only person to struggle today… A lot harder than last week’s, I thought. I soldiered on for three quarters of an hour with two thirds still to go before hitting the reveal button.

7. Mick H says:

I was stumped on a couple, including Italian Vermouth. I initially wanted 4dn to be PINTSFREE, but noone’s managed to find that mythical land yet!

8. nmsindy says:

ITALIAN VERMOUTH broke the back of this puzzle for me. With Nimrod (and esp with 4 15-letter answers around the perimeter of the grid) I tend to look for anagrams. I think I’ve seen that INNISFREE idea before, but no reason why it should not be used again. Guess the blogger with the Yeats quote on his website will have got this, no problem.

I read NOT ER as Neildubya did.

9. nmsindy says:

15 across BOLUS I think this may be food headed for the pit of the stomach. Second reference to stomach in comments on this puzzle!

10. petebiddlecombe says:

I was stumped by SETAE, which was a bit annoying. Also had TEA FOR TWO as a misleading mistake at 10 for a while. But enjoyed much of the rest – including, perversely, the ‘potty’ surface at 24.

11. Paul B says:

Got that through ‘SET A’: but what might be termed the virtuosic single-letter indication for the E, given its length, added a whole new layer of mystery.