Financial Times 12,732 (Phssthpok)

Posted by diagacht on April 3rd, 2008

diagacht.

This was by no means easy, with some unusual words, and some unsolved wordplay.

1 MULLIGATAWNY: MULL (warm) + I + GA (empty guava) + TAWNY (owl)
10 INDORSE: anagram of RIDES ON
11 ANNULAR: ANNUL (abolish) + R around A
13 ESTEPONA: hidden in wE STEP ON Airplane
15 WAGE SLAVES: anagram of LAS VEGAS WE
16 CYST: hidden in pharmaCY STarts
20 STRIDULATE: anagram of TURTLE SAID
22 PARTISAN: double definition
24 CAVED: double definition
26 EROTICA: T in EROICA (one of Beethoven’s symphonies)
27 DRAGOON: O (love) in DRAG ON
28 FACE THE MUSIC: which is what the conductor must do. I thought, for some time, that this must be ‘take the stick’

2 UNDOING: double definition
3 LARGESSE: LARGE + SS (ship) + E
4 GLEE: G + LEE (shelter)
5 TRANSGENIC: anagram of CREATING SN (40% of SNAKE)
6 WINCE: C (carpaccio starter) in WINE
7 YELLOWY: ELLOW (headless man (f)ELLOW) in YY (chromosomes)
8 WINDOW SHOPPER: &Lit
9 BREAST FEEDING: anagram of GRADE BENEFITS
14 MARTIAL ART: of which karate is an example, but why?
17 NUNCHAKU: UK + AHC (a high court) + NUN (female adherent), all reversed (held up)
21 ALVEOLI: O L (nothing left) in anagram of ALIVE
23 ILIAC: I think this is right, being that which pertains to the ilium (part of the hipbone). But I don’t see the wordplay.
25 IDLE: I(n)D(u)L(g)E being indulge without the even letters

5 Responses to “Financial Times 12,732 (Phssthpok)”

1. Magpie says:

I found this quite tricky too! But I think “iliac” is right, and took it to be 80% of the poem The Iliad + c (cut).

2. C G Rishikesh says:

Re 14 ac: I found Martial listed under Poets in a dictionary.

I now learn that Marcus Valerius Martialis, an ancient Latin poet, was known in English as Martial.

But the breakup MARTIAL + ART (expertise) is not quite satisfactory, or is it?

3. diagacht says:

Magpie, you are clearly right. I spent a good while looking at the Iliad but somehow had it stuck in my head that the 80% referred to final.

Rishi, you too are clearly right although I have never heard of this chap. I think art if ok for expertise; I just think the poet is a bit out of the ordinary!

4. C G Rishikesh says:

What I meant to say was breaking up MARTIAL ART as “mail tartar*” or
    (-ex)tramarital* or any other similar division is one thing and breaking it up as Martial/art is another. The latter does not seem to give the solver much satisfaction.

But I do realise that while writing some thirty clues for a 15x puzzle such straight divisions may be welcome after convoluted wordplay elsewhere.

5. Paul B says:

It doesn’t seem very cryptic, that ILIAC clue, because the bone concerned is the ilium. And what’s the Latin name for ancient Troy?

Maybe they haven’t heard about it on the Pak homeworld.