Guardian 24,357 (Gordius)

Posted by diagacht on April 8th, 2008

diagacht.

Straightforward enough except for 26ac which took me ages to sort out and may well be wrong.

1 SHAMROCK: SHAM + ROCK
5 ACCORD: ACCORD(ion) losing I and ON, one and on taken off
9 RATIONAL: RATION on A L (a learner’s plate)
10 LIVERY: double definition
12 PREVARICATE: anagram of PRIVATE CARE
15 ELLIS: ELL + IS (Ellis Bell was the pen-name of Emily Bronte)
17 GENTLEMAN: GENT + LEMAN (paramour)
18 STAGE PROP: anagram of STOPPAGE R
19 RAILS: double definition
20 MISANTHROPE: anagram of ISNT A HOPE MR
24 ALBION: ALB + I + ON
25 BRIDGEND: BRIDGE + ND (not dated)
26 BRONTE: are we looking at Creeks here? Eleanor Creek (California), Lawrence Creek (Oklahoma) and Bronte Creek (Canada)
27 ASSENTED: ASS + ENTED (‘entered’ without the hesitation ‘er’)
1 STRIPTEASE: anagram of PIRATES SET
2 AT THE ALTAR: where those undertaking marriage vows meet
3 RHODA: HOD in RA
4 CHARING CROSS: anagram of CHAIR + NG + CROSS
6 CHISELLER: double definition
11 SAINT PANCRAS: anagram of TRANS CASPIAN
13 OMNIPOTENT: OM (order of merit) + anagram of IN TOP TEN
14 UNASCENDED: anagram of NUDE DANCES
16 STEAMBOAT: S (second) + TEAM (XI) + O in BAT
23 HEDGE: H + EDGE

8 Responses to “Guardian 24,357 (Gordius)”

1. Andrew says:

26Ac is Eleanor BRON + T.E. Lawrence.

2. Geoff says:

12a: I found the anagram PREVARICATE quite easily, but only put the word in reluctantly after I had all the connecting letters, not realising that ‘use deceit’ is an obsolete meaning of the word; the more usual modern sense is ‘act or speak evasively’ – not quite the same thing!

Some really good surface meanings and nice &lits: I liked 18a, 20a particularly.

3. PaulW says:

Got 15ac first,Ellis (bell) which made 26ac easy. However it took me an age to get 2dn.

4. Andrew says:

I tentatively had AT THE DEATH for 2dn until evidence from the crossing words convinced me otherwise. I don’t think much of the clue – “undertaking” isn’t particularly associated with wedding vows, is it?

5. Harris says:

12a: Like Geoff was thrown by unusual def for ‘prevaricate’. Same fodder was used in yesterday’s Telegraph, which eased matters.

6. ilancaron says:

I liked the Flemish city being spelt GENT rather than the Belgian Ghent (the French spelling I think).

I really enjoyed this one. Some really good clues, I thought, especially 20ac and 11dn. I wasn’t so put out by 2dn [vows are 'undertakings'] as by 10ac: I hadn’t come across ‘livery’ in the secondary ['liverish?']sense.

8. diagacht says:

I agree with Eileen vows are ‘undertakings’. The Book of Common Prayer – in a rather daunting introduction to the Solemnization of Matrimony advises that marriage should not be taken in hand, unadvisedly … ‘Undertaking’ seems a reasonable shorthand for ‘taken in hand’.