Independent 6703/Punk

Posted by neildubya on April 10th, 2008

neildubya.
1 (THE LAW)* in LEAP,ON – LETHAL WEAPON.
9 KIN,IS,G,ZED – I always think KIN whenever I see “family” so I got this fairly quickly.
10 SINUS – the wordplay seems to be IN in SUS but how does SUS = “Texas”? Is it S[outh],US? If so that’s a bit vague.
12 OV,ERR,EACH – “conclusion of many Russians” for OV (e.g RomanOV, IvanOV) had me puzzled for ages.
13 OARLOCK – “man spelling” is WARLOCK (a man who practises witchcraft) so replace the W with O. The surface seems complete nonsense to me though (maybe I’m missing something) and I can’t help but think this is an oddly contrived sort of clue.
16 EG in LOVER – cheeky &lit
22 SO,DO,M – I guess we can justify M for McDonalds on the basis that their logo – “the golden arches” – is an M.
25 RE[-A]PER,TORY
26 (TRAVEL FINE IM)* – TERMINAL FIVE. I don’t know if this was Punk being very prescient by managing to predict the chaos of T5’s opening or if the clue/puzzle was published with a shorter-than-usual lead time but either way this is a very apposite &lit.

1 LIKE IT OR LUMP IT – why is it the “penultimate offer”?
3 (ONES GAL)* – AL SEGNO, literally “to the sign” and used to indicate that a performer should continue playing to a point elsewhere in the score marked by a sign.
4 [-j]AZZ in COW<,K – WAZZOCK is a great word but it doesn’t look like an easy one to clue so I think Punk has done well here.
6 BSE in (OVER)* – OBSERVE.
14 TRAD in RAGE – “clothes” is a verb rather rather than a noun and functions as a containment indicator. A well-worded clue like this one though makes this hard to spot.
19 NO PARTS (going up)
23 hidden in “distresseD HOT Inside”

6 Responses to “Independent 6703/Punk”

1. eimi says:

Re: 26 Across, I had a different Punk puzzle scheduled for this week, but I was happy to replace it at the last minute as (at least British Airways hope) it won’t be a laughing stock for long.

2. Ali says:

Liked this one a lot. As always with Punk, edging towards the trickier end of the scale, but mercifully easier than the recent Nimrod and Bannsider puzzles. Plenty to admire here, and extra plaudits for the T5 clue and managing to get WAZZOCK into a puzzle!

3. Michod says:

Nice bit of topicality there indeed, well done.
    Re 10ac, I eventually decided it must be Southern US. I agree Texas = S US is a bit vague, but it’s essentially analogous to Kent = SE. “Bible Belt?” and “Home Counties” might be fairer indications.

4. Testy says:

I liked this one too. I didn’t get the “many Russians” bit so thanks for explaining that one. I agree that “Texas” = S US but didn’t think that it was too much of a liberty.

However I still don’t think I fully understand the LIKE IT OR LUMP IT clue:
    “Here’s some granulated sugar – and that’s my penultimate offer!”

I guess the granulated sugar is the penultimate offer because the ultimate offer is lumps of sugar???

5. fgbp says:

“I agree that “Texas” = S US but didn’t think that it was too much of a liberty.”

This reminds me of Richard Browne’s “fiendish” competition clue in the Times Crossword club, cluing THESEUS as FLORIDA!

6. Paul B says:

Yarze. The ultimate, as in final, offer would be the only remaining alternative to the different types of sugar previously offered, we might have to assume. Apart from ‘no sugar’ of course.

I can’t believe I just wrote that sentence.