Guardian 24,362 : Rufus

Posted by neildubya on April 14th, 2008

neildubya.

Short of time to give much explanation here, but the answers were pretty straight I thought. The only ones I had a problem with were SOURDOUGH (it is North American prospector) and I only think that  SLUG is the answer to 27ac.

ACROSS

1 O-PINION (Eileen correctly informs me it’s not O-PEN-TOP)

5 LASAGNE

26 CONVALESCE

27 SLUG

28 USURERS

29 CYGNETS

DOWN

2 PLACE-BO

3 NUD-GE : (E.G DUN) in reverse , where “dunning” is the process of chasing payment.

4 OT-HELLO

6 AVERS-E

7 AFTERMATH

8 NOTICES

9 STRAIGHT FLUSH

15 RETRIEVER

18 AT A LOSS

20 GALLERIES

21 NO DOUBT

22 ANG(L)ER

25 BA-SIN

11 Responses to “Guardian 24,362 : Rufus”

1ac I had O,PINION!
    26ac. CONVALESCE
    27ac I had SLUG, too
    7dn. AFTERMATH: I liked the [almost] &lit. here, as ‘aftermath’ originally meant a second crop.

2. stan says:

See what happens when you are in a hurry … I’ll amend – thanks, Eileen.

Stan – I wasn’t arguing with your ‘open-top’! I think it works, too, as a cryptic clue

4. stan says:

I thought it was case closed when I saw O-PEN = Nothing to restrict. I suppose “top” is a sort of view, but all in all it’s not as satisfying as O-PINION

5. Andrew says:

I also had OPEN-TOP for 1 ac – but OPINION makes better sense. Interesting near-miss though.

I agree with SLUG for 27ac – it’s alive and it’s a kind of ammunition.

6. muck says:

7dn AFTERMATH is interesting as one of those words that has changed its meaning to the opposite. As Eileen says, it orginally meant ‘a second mowing of grass from the same season’, but it now means ‘later consequences, esp. if bad’. Both quotes from Chambers.

7. muck says:

I wasn’t sure about ‘Pure corn’ in the clue to 12ac CEREAL. Apparently it is used in making whiskey, as opposed to whisky.

8. Tom Hutton says:

Am I missing something? Isn’t it just cereal-serial. Where does the whisk(e)y come in?

9. Comfy Settee says:

Stan – do you mean GALLERY instead of GALLERIES for 20d?

SOURDOUGH came quite easily, but I had no end of bother with USURERS!

I went for OPENTOP for 1ac, though OPINION is nice. The word “There’s” at the start of the clue kind of made it feel more like a cryptic clue to me, for some reason… but either works.

10. muck says:

12ac CEREAL, sounds like serial. But I couldn’t work out why PURE corn in the clue. Various links on Google say ‘pure corn’ is used in making whiskey (bourbon), as opposed to whisky (scotch). Maybe I’m reading too much into this?

11. Andrew says:

I suspect “pure corn” was just to give a good surface reading.