Private Eye/Cyclops 362 – Naughty Capitalisations

Posted by beermagnet on April 14th, 2008

beermagnet.

A couple of capitalisations in the clues here attempt to misled that extra step – some might say a step too far.

1 EGGCUP e.g. G-Cup
5 TO BE SURE T(ime) RU back in OBESE
9 GIVING HEAD Generous educating person
10 OGLE O-(LEG)* First that I wrote in
11 STIGMA (GITS)<-MA
12 HORNY DD
14 DREAMT-UP Anag (NEW PM REAL TURD) without an R and L
16 PRIMLY RIM in PLY Cyclops has clued the most innocuous word in the grid in the rudest way
17 UTERUS (TRUE)* inside the US from Bushes heart
19 REFLEXES FLEX inside REES  The “former Hom. Sec.” is Merlyn REES from the 70s ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlyn_Rees ) who might be unknown to younger solvers.  But is FLEX synonymous with “contract”? Last I put in and then only because it fits the crossing letters and the definition. Full clue:
 Gut reacions of former Home Secretary bagging contract (8)
21 ODDLY 2nd last in – For a long time I thought it was going to be ODDIE from the definition (“a git”), which it cannot be from the crossing Y.  It was only while writing this blog I saw it – the odd letters of “Anglia TV” are “AGIT”.  Full clue:
 Thus could Anglia TV be taken to be a git (5)
22 ALLEGE LEG in ALE Oh not piss = ale again
25 SOAK S(uck) O(ff) A(ctor) K(night) A bit contrived
26 EPIGLOTTIS (G-SPOT IT LIES)*
27 WHITE TIE
28 YO-HO-HO Reminded me of the childrens’ cartoon “Yo-ho Ahoy” – recommended viewing (just the once will do)

2 GLITTERATI LITTER in (A GIT)*
3 CLING CL[EAR]ING I found this terribly obvious
4 PAGEANT AGE (“to get on”) about PANT (“Puff”)
5 TOE THE PARTY LINE It took several crossing letters before this became clear, but it is solidly clued.
 TOE (“Reportedly pull”) THE (“article”) PARTY (“social”) LINE (“dose of cocaine”)
6 BAD TRIP  <shudder>
7 STORYLINE S TORY-LINE
8 RULE DD
13 OLD ENGLISH (SOD IN HELL G)*
15 AIR POCKET Nick as in steal – sneaky capital:
This should interrupt the smooth rise of broadcast by Nick (3,6)
18 SADDEST S(enate) (DEAD)* ST
20 FRAILTY AIL-[doors]T[epper] inside FRY (“Cook”) – another naughty capitalisation:
It’s a weakness of Cook, welcoming trouble (doorstepper at heart) (7)
23 LATCH C(amilla) in LATH
24 TOSH T(urn) O(ver) SH (be quiet)

5 Responses to “Private Eye/Cyclops 362 – Naughty Capitalisations”

1. Kevin Ward says:

Chambers gives flex as to contract (a muscle).

2. Pogel says:

Finished this one but had to guess 21ac and 28 ac. Don’t think much of the former and still don’t get the latter – any help? Thanks.

Liked 1ac though…

3. beermagnet says:

Oh, I like 21A now I understand it. I’ve seen “odd letter” clues but can’t recall one like this that I would characterise as a “reverse odd letter” clue where the answer refers to the manipulation. Quite advanced clueing I reckon.

28A Ejaculation that boosted an old sailor on the pull (2-2-2)
    I wrote this in from the letter count really, YO-HO-HO being the only C17 pirate/sailor “ejaculation” I could see that fits. I think the “on the pull” part refers to gangs heaving away at ropes while chanting things like this to keep in time, but maybe “Heave ho, me hearties” would be more appropriate.

Thanks for Flex Kevin.

4. Pogel says:

Thanks for that Beermagnet. I like “reverse” clues as much as the next punter – I suppose I didn’t like this one because (a) the surface is pretty poor and (b) I didn’t get it!

5. PB says:

Collins noun sense 4 too. But FLEX is the root word, and (even where the meaning is slightly different) I’m not a big fan …

On Beer’s or beer’s point, isn’t Cyclops sticking to the conventions?
    You wouldn’t gain any Afrit Points for using ‘brown’ instead of ‘Brown’ to indicate PM: but ‘Brown’ rather than ‘brown’ for DUN is deemed fair.