Independent 6708/Dac

Posted by neildubya on April 16th, 2008

neildubya.

Dac was described last week as a “class act” by a fellow blogger – I couldn’t agree more.

1 HAS,TEN – I briefly considered N for “mid-morning”.
10 IRAQI – I think the spirit is “raki”.
11 LO,(A GENT)*,ON – I knew it was a place but wasn’t sure that it was in Derbyshire – not much doubt with the wordplay though.
13 E,A in SEMIS< – I had S?A???? so SIAMESE went in without too much thought. Looking at it now, it’s quite a tricky clue to parse, with “offering accomodation” serving as a containment indicator.
14 IN,DUB[-a]I,TABLE – This was also a tricky one to parse, mainly, I think, because the clue reads so smoothly that it’s hard to see the joins.
18 (A NUT TRE[-e])*,RAIL – I filled in NATURE TRAIL when I had most of the checking letters in place because I couldn’t see what else would fit but the wordplay went completely over my head. Working out now, I accounted for everything except RAIL, which turns out to be a type of bird.
22 GETS in GEN (reversed)
26 O,NAN in REST

1 HAIR,GRIP – the last one in for me. In TV, a GRIP is someone who manouevres the camera.
5 (STRONG BEER)*,NINE – I think I would have struggled with this one for a while had I not immediately thought of NINE for “one over the eight”.
6 AVER,P (going up),LENT – “forty day period” made this very easy, for me at least.
8 CANNED – yet another synonym for “drunk” apparently, although I don’t think I’ve heard it before.
16 FILE (going up) in F,ACT
17 PLUG,L in (GUY)* – this is a great clue: “Tough guy shaking, clutching top of leg after getting shot”. Some lifting and separating needed on “tough guy” – the first word is the definition, and the second starts the wordplay.
19 DANCER – a ref to Wayne Sleep.
20 [-h]ALTERS

11 Responses to “Independent 6708/Dac”

1. Barbara says:

24. Nothing was said about 24, my only doubtful entry. I have cream corn, but can’t see the wordplay. Please explain.

2. neildubya says:

24a I put CREAM HORN (“pastry concoction”), which is RE (“about”),(HAM)* in CORN. The Reveal feature in the online version confirms the answer.

3. Testy says:

In 11A I presume ON is indicated by “in the vicinity of”. Is this just because if something is on top of something it will be in the same vicinity or is there a more definitive link between ON and “in the vicinity of”? Not knowing the town I initially assumed that “in the vicinity of” would indicate BY and had considered pencilling in LONG TEABY.

4. neildubya says:

I wondered about ON too but Chambers Online dictionary has “very near to or along the side of something” for the fourth meaning of it and gives the example: “a house on the shore”. So, “in the vicinity of” seems fair to me.

5. Testy says:

Fair enough. BTW I forgot to say that I thought this was a really good puzzle with, as ever, brilliant surfaces and (as you mentioned) extremely well concealed breaks between wordplay and definitions.

6. Ali says:

Some very good clue here as always from Dac, and it’s always nice when I can attribute some random knowledge to the hundreds of hours of my life I’ve spent watching The Simpsons. I’d never heard of Ernest Borgnine until I saw him in the Boy Scouts episode!

7. Val says:

I’m still stuck with 20 across – can anyone help! Thanks.

8. neildubya says:

What was the clue?

9. Val says:

President completely destroyed? Not completely (7)

10. neildubya says: