Guardian 24365/Audreus – new setter to me

Posted by neildubya on April 17th, 2008

neildubya.

This is a new setter to me, and I enjoyed the puzzle on the whole. It didn’t take long to do, and, if the week’s puzzles are to get harder as the week goes on, I would have this as a Tuesday rather than a Thursday.

1 SCALES

2 WARP AIN’T

9 DOWNHILL

10 UP LINE, but I am not sure I have understood the clue. Americans call a queue a line, and I suppose the up line is the one gong to the city centre. is that it?

11 (M) USES

12 FLAMBOYANT, but I don’t know why, except that the worker is represented by ‘ant’. Anyone else know the old pulpit reference? Is it a flam, or a flamb?

14 E M BE DD ED ‘E’ is eastern, and ‘Med’ is the sea going around ‘be,’ to live, and ‘dd’, doctor of divinity.

16 SEA FARE R

20 S WORDS TICK

23 ARDOUR – party is do in rura(l) backwards.

24 W HIT E T IE – this was my favourite clue; wet around ‘hit’, and ‘ie’ for “that’s”.

25 A SSEM BLY

26 DA RING

2 CHOOSE ONES WORDS , anagram.

3 LINKS – first letters of ‘learn in new kids’ school’.

4 STIFFENER – old boy slang for a drink.

5 WELFARE anagram of ‘few real’.

6 R HUM B

7 (W) ALLEYED

8 NONINTERVENTION anagram.

17 F ORB ORE – ‘fore’ being what golfers shout before whacking the ball to warn potential victims of the outgoing missile.

18 RAIL WAY

22 S N EER

13 Responses to “Guardian 24365/Audreus – new setter to me”

1. Dave Ellison says:

10A up line is the line going from the provinces to the metropolis (ie up to London)

12A Ambo is an old pulpit, maybe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulpit

2. Paul B says:

Not a new setter. Audreus a very capable stalwart, and Shed’s mum I think.

3. conradcork says:

Shed’s mum is right – and he often follows on the next day from hers.

Hugely enjoyable puzzle.

4. muck says:

10ac: UP LINE is certainly the one going to London, and ‘line’ is ‘queue’ in America, but how does ‘alternative’ give ‘up’?

13ac: ‘Token of love interrupting part of service: touching!’ ??

5. Jim says:

13ac: ‘Token of love interrupting part of service: touching!’ ??

O (love) in CUP (part of service)+ ON (touching) = COUPON A coupon being a token in that it is used in lieu of money.

6. Simply_simon says:

10 ac The alternative refers to the queue (ie line) , not to the up; I don’t think it has a double relevance. I found this an unsatisfying clue.

7. KB Pike says:

Re 13ac – Coupon – Made all the more difficult by Audreus allowing 3 consecutive unchecked letters, 4 in a six-letter word. Ximenes would not have approved; no more do I.

8. muck says:

Thanks Jim for 13ac COUPON

Thanks Simply_Simon for explaining 10ac. I agree not that good a clue.

9. Mortice says:

5 ac – war paint

warp (buckle) + aint (isn’t)

war paint is worn to show defiance.

10. Mortice says:

Apologies – that was in the list but incorrectly numbered, hence my mistake!

11. R&R says:

In American “queue” = “line up”…does alternative signal reversal?

12. Andrew says:

No one has so far mentioned the slightly duff grid, where 13ac and 19ac have 3 consecutive unchecked letters, and only 2 unchecked out of 6. 19ac was easy but I struggled for ages with 13ac.
    Has this grid been used before?

13. Testy says:

I didn’t do this but the grid sounds like an absolute shocker. I dislike it when lights with odd numbers of letters have just under 50% checking but I think having even numbered lights with so few checked is dreadful. Being a weak solver, my pet hate is weak grids that make solving even harder.