Guardian 24,373 (Sat 26 Apr)/Paul – Know your enemies

Posted by rightback on May 3rd, 2008

rightback.

Solving time: 8:22

The theme in this crossword was fictional archenemies: those of Batman (The Joker, The Penguin and The Riddler), Harry Potter (Voldemort), Luke Skywalker (Darth Vader), James Bond (Blofeld) and Flash Gordon (Ming the Merciless). The good guys were referenced only by their initials in the clues.

Clearly today’s music has to be a James Bond theme song. Please vote for your favourite.

* = anagram, “X” = sounds like ‘X’.

1 [h]ARMLESS – because stools have only legs.
5 ALBUMEN; MEN after rev. of (U.B. + L.A.)
9 PENGUIN (double definition) – one of Batman’s foes, and a publishing house.
10 PHOENIX; “FEE NIX”
11 AR(C(HEN)E)MY
12 DITTO (hidden) – indicated by previous clue being repeated. Very Paul.
13 DRESS (double definition)
17 GOOSE + STEP
19/23dn DART + H(V)AD + E.R.
22 UNBID; N.B. (= ‘note’) in [q]UID
23 VOL(DEMO + R)T
25 B-LO[a]F + E + L + D
26 AN + GU(I)SH
28 TO + NIGH (= ‘close’) + T
1 APPLAUD; A, + rev. of ALP in PUD
2 MON + O[n]CLE – the French for ‘my uncle’ with the second ‘n’ omitted. The Penguin always wore a monocle.
3 E + DUCE – Mussolini was known as Il Duce.
4 S(U.N. HELM)ET
5 APPLY – as in ‘like an apple’.
6 BLOW-DRIED; (WORLD I)* in BED – Sassoon being a maker of hair products.
7/15ac MING THE MERCILESS; THEME (= ’11?’ = ‘archenemy?’) + RC (= Catholic) + I, all inside MINGLE (= ‘mix’), + S.S. (= ‘Nazis’) – needless to say, I didn’t dissect this while solving!
8 NOXIOUS; (I in OXO) in N.U.S.
14 SPEED WELL (one cryptic, one straight definition)
16 REPELLANT; rev. of ALL in REPENT
17 G + RUBBER
18 OXBLOOD; B[lack] + LOO (= ‘throne room’) all inside OX[for]D
20 RIO + TIN + G[enerate]
21 HOT SHOT
24 EG(G)ON – the gastronome is Egon Ronay.

7 Responses to “Guardian 24,373 (Sat 26 Apr)/Paul – Know your enemies”

I thought this was a great puzzle – a highly entertaining theme, with some very good clues, especially 22ac, 25ac, 6dn,7,15dn [brilliant!] 18dn.

9ac: triple definition: also a black and white bird

Vidal Sassoon was a hairdresser to the famous, therefore did the blow-drying.

2. Dan says:

Any answers for the May 3rd Guardian crossword>>>> i’m stumped!

3. Fletch says:

Terrific puzzle, great fun.

Favourite Bond theme: On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, John Barry.

4. Comfy Settee says:

Agree with Fletch: On Her Majesty’s Secret Service – but has to be Propellerheads version….

5. Comfy Settee says:

(or if we’re allowed non-Bond music, how about “Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me” by U2 – used in one of the Batman movies)

Dan, we’re not allowed to comment on prize puzzles. All I can say about this one is that when I saw, ’7 and 20 play a game… neither player has a clue’, my immediate thought was that it was going to be a tribute to the irreplaceable Humph. Alas…

…I was …….ed.