Guardian 24384/Brendan — say something.

Posted by Colin Blackburn on May 9th, 2008

Colin Blackburn.

As ever an excellent puzzle from Brendan. It was quickly apparent that every clue ended in “, say”. After solving a few it became clear that Brendan was using “say” in a number of capacities: definition by example, homophone, part of the fodder, and as the definition itself. This led to more homophones than you’d normally get in a daily puzzle but Brendan balanced this with some superb examples of this clue type.

* = anagram
dd = double definition
“” = homophone

9 PRONOUNCE PRONOUN+CE say as a definition.
10 E-MAIL E+”male” say as a homophone indicator.
13 OSSUARY (OURS SAY)* say as part of the fodder.
19 CAR Coke And Rum say as part of a definition by example.
22 STEWART “Stuart” ref. James Stewart and Andy Stewart though less famous people may fit the bill too.
24 GREAT DANE dd this is a fifth type of clue. Say here is being used as a question mark might be to highlight the second, more cryptic, definition.
29 TIDEMARKS “tied Marx” great homophone with a nicely misleading definition creating a surface conjuring up Stalin and the Second World War.
3 FOR EXAMPLE FORE+X+AMPLE so concise!
5 SEAFARER “see fairer” another excellent homophone.
6 BEAU “Bow” I filled this in from the definition and checking letters but failed to see the word play. It has only just dawned on me as I type that it is a reference to Bow, a district of London.
7 MAINTAIN AIN’T in MAIN say here is a definition again.
8 KLEE “clay” I guess you need to know how Paul Klee’s name is correctly pronounced for this clue. I didn’t!
13 OSCAR (kok)”oschka” odd one here, a hidden homophone, for want of a better term.
See comment 1 below for a much more likely explanation.
15 NOM DE PLUME PLUM in (ODE MEN)* excellent stuff again, the definition is by example. Dr Seuss was the nom de plume of Theodor Geisel.
16 KRAFT “craft” KRAFT is a type of paper.
25 TORY T(his) O(ffice) (anothe)R (sa)Y heads and tails!
27 EASY E(x)A(m)S(a)Y and finally yet another device to end on.

7 Responses to “Guardian 24384/Brendan — say something.”

1. Andrew says:

13dn – this is actually a reference to the painter Kokoschka, whose first name is OSKAR (OK, I had to look it up..). His parents must have had a sense of humour.

I found this quite easy, but great fun. None of the uses of “say” seemed to be too contrived, as can sometimes happen when there’s some sort of theme running through the clues. A very clever and enjoyable puzzle to end the week.

Yes, hugely enjoyable – but, as yesterday, I was stymied by just the one [four-letter-word] clue: I didn’t know how to pronounce Klee, either. [But I quite liked 1dn and 27dn]

[I took 24 ac across as being another definition by example.]

3. Colin Blackburn says:

Andrew, thanks for the Kokoschka clarification, I should have checked wikipedia.

Eileen, in 24ac the phrase GREAT DANE has only one meaning, that of the dog thus I feel that the second definition can’t simply be by example but must be slightly cryptic even though Andersen is clearly an example of a Dane who is great. If the answer was DANE then the second definition would be by example.

Thanks, Colin. [Do you remember Victor Borge, who was often described as the Great Dane?]

5. Colin Blackburn says:

Eileen, I do remember Victor Borge but not that he was called the Great Dane.
    I too was stymied by a four letter word. For me it was 24dn, GAUL. Very easy with hindsight.

6. mark says:

Help please.

Assume 14a is ransack – why.

Also I couldn’t get 21 and 26 A

and 18, 19 & 23 D

Thanks
    Mark

7. muck says:

14ac RANSACK: RAN= smuggled, SACK= spanish wine.

21ac ROE DEER: homophones for ‘row’ and ‘dear’

26ac LISLE: L(ine)+ISLE

18dn ELEMENTS: ‘men’ in anagram of ‘steel’

19dn CURRANTS: homophone of ‘currents’

23dn ASSERT: A + (tress) reversed