Independent 6723/Bannsider

Posted by neildubya on May 9th, 2008

neildubya.

Great puzzle from this highly consistent setter with a mini-theme I would never have spotted if fellow blogger nmsindy hadn’t sent me the following:

6 and 12 aren’t blogged but are part of the theme (look at the list of players at the end of the BBC article). And now we know why Bannsider is Bannsider!

1 M in (COLERAINE)* – CEREMONIAL.
9 M in (COLERAINE)* – REAL INCOME.
10 T in PEE – “Best of the Beatles” is the definition, a ref to that band’s original drummer. “Slash” has a capital as it’s the name of the guitarist from Guns N’Roses.
14 OLD IRIS,H – nothing to do with Rupert but a reference instead to the writer Iris Murdoch.
16 (FUN A CLIP)* – CUP FINAL. Which, along with the last word of 14 provides the basis for the mini-theme.
18 hidden in “KirK GOT LAmbasted” – somehow managed to guess this as I couldn’t see any alternative wordplay.
20 YC in TOO,N
21 GOO, L in DUCK – is this a message to Coleraine on the occasion of the 14 (part 2) 16?
23 O,R,TO,LANS – “nearly closed” seems to indicate TO but I don’t know why. A LAN is a Local Area Network.
27 BREADCRUMB – was a bit baffled by “comfort food” but perhaps it’s something to do with “a crumb of comfort”? A bit tenuous but that’s all I’ve got.
30 N in (COLERAINE)* – OCEAN LINER.

1 SON in [-s]CARCITY – CARSON CITY is the capital of Nevada.
4 NIC[-k]HOL(A)S
7 (YET AS AN)*,OUCH – AN EASY TOUCH.
8 TEEM – not sure if this is right but can’t think of anything else. “Tip it down” (i.e. rain) sort of fits as the definition.
13 (ETC)* in A SPRAT,IO – tough one to parse. “Fan of lean cuisine” for (Jack) SPRAT is very good.
19 (WANTS)* in BOA – “to be constricted” for (something) inside BOA is indirect but the whole clue is very fair I think.
22 FAB,RIC[-h]
25 alternate letters of “MeAnS sKy”
28 URN – must be right although I can’t see the wordplay in “elimination of sides from tournament”. URN is in “tournament” but “elimination of sides” is a bit vague if it’s suggesting we get rid of all the other letters.

6 Responses to “Independent 6723/Bannsider”

1. nmsindy says:

In ORTOLANS, I think the ‘nearly’ may be ‘to’ with ‘closed’ referring to the networks, which are local.

URN was a bit unusual as you say – I guess the setter was happy it could be confirmed from crossing words.

Like you, I do not understand the wordplay for TEEM but it looks the likely answer from the definition.

2. Testy says:

I think 8D is a homophone (indicated by “of the mouth”) for “team”.

3. Colin Blackburn says:

28dn tournament could refer to TOURNEY, that way the elimination is at least symmetric?

4. Paul B says:

‘Shut the door to’ = ‘shut the door nearly closed’ in my world.

5. Ali says:

Had it in my bag all week, but never got round to solving this one, which is annoying as it looks like a good one. Very impressed with the numerous Coleraine anagrams and I’d happily solve clues like 10A ’til the cows came home!

6. BrianR says:

Independent 6723

6a Watt (What?) – Only got it from the URL which you provided.

8d TEEM fits but have yet to find a reasonable justification.

Shall have to wait until tomorrow.

Agree with comment re ORTOLANS. nmsindy may well be right but I’m not sure that I like it. (But I do live in Australia, so the term/s may not be relevant here.)

19d Got this early. Thought that ‘muddled’ “wants” inside a boa would certainly be constricted.

28d Had no worries with this one. No wordplay. Just sides missing. No reference which could have construed that the missing bits had to be symmetrical.