Independent 6730/Mass

Posted by neildubya on May 12th, 2008

neildubya.

I found this quite hard as birds, along with trees, are not a strong point with me. I’d never heard of a 13, a 14 or a 16 but eventually got them from the wordplay and/or educated guessing.

1 (EPIS[-o]DE)* – ESPIED
5 PL,OVER – the first thematic clue I got.
8 GUIL[-e],(MOTEL)* – GUILLEMOT
12 SCREE,CHOW,L
13 L in (THE SORT)* – a guess, once all the checking letters were in place, as THROSTLE was new to me. It’s a song thrush apparently.
17 hidden in “genERATOr”
23 KING – I think this must be right because of the K in 2d but I can’t see how the clue works.
26 PART,(DIRGE)* – PARTRIDGE

2 K in SIMMER
4 IM< in DOCILE
5 TR in PEEL
6 CROW in (DROVE)* – OVERCROWD
7 E,PI,TOME – I guess that PI is “pious”.
8 GETS,TH[EB-b]IRD – hesitantly filled this in because “contracts” for GETS wasn’t obvious at first, although now it’s as plain as day: you GET an illness if you contract it.
10 (DOGGE[-r]EL,A L[-i]NE)* – the hard part with this one was working out what was anagram fodder and what wasn’t.
14 STORMCOCK – another name for the mistle thrush apparently. Not sure about the wordplay, apart from “outcry” = STORM.
18 hidden in “hALLE GROup”
20 ARIA,END< – a reference to the Strauss opera Ariadne auf Naxos.
24 R in WEN – WEN means “an enormous congested city”.

6 Responses to “Independent 6730/Mass”

1. nmsindy says:

KING, I think comes from (swan)KING A little mystified by STORM COCK as it seems an R rather than a K is leaving ‘crock’ = pot, but it might be something else entirely. Enjoyable puzzle, as always from Mass.

2. nmsindy says:

Understand it now. R also is King = rex

3. Wil Ransome says:

I seem to be missing something: if 8dn is ‘gets the bird’ then how do all those references to 8dn refer simply to a bird?

4. Michod says:

They’re just link words – I think we’re to read the clues as (wordplay) gets the (definition)

5. nmsindy says:

That’s how I saw it, too, Michod.

6. Wil Ransome says:

Thanks, yes, that’s it, I hadn’t realised the whole expression fitted in to the clues. But I think they work best when it’s ‘8 Down’ at the end of the clue and the whole word is a bird. In clues like 2dn, it seems a bit of a stretch to have the definition of a bird as ‘Gets the bird’.