Independent 6731/Virgilius

Posted by John on May 13th, 2008

John.

The usual wonderful Virgilius themed around one of our favourite activities. Every one (although perhaps 30 is stretching it a bit) of the across answers is in some way connected with crosswords. I think that’s all, but don’t dare to say categorically that it is.

1 CROSSWORD – 2 defs
6 POSER – (perso(n))*
9/13/28 BAD HAIR DAY – 2 defs
10 WORDS FAIL ME – 2 defs
11 GRIDLOCKED – (did clerk go)*
15 LAMENTATIONS – the Bible book and …
19 I HAVEN’T A CLUE – a crossword contains clues, so a solver can’t say there are none.
22 HAteful crosswoRD
23 CAN’T BE DONE – cant bed one
26 AT MY WIT’S END – I can’t see that this is more than two very similar meanings. Perhaps I’m missing something.
29 SOLVE – (loves)*
30 DISASTERS – (a distress)*

1 CUB AGE
2 ORDAIN – 2 defs
3 SAW – I think this is 3 defs: ‘Understood’, ‘saying’, that’s designed to be cutting’
4 (y)O(S)RIC(k)
5 DYSPEPTIC – (depict spy)*
6 P LAY – I think the def. is ‘Position’ but am not comfortable with this
7 SALVADOR (Dali)
8 RYE-GRASS – (grey)*(r)ass
12 LEADER – “lieder”. Do only editors write leaders, or do editors write nothing but leaders?
14 ATTUNE – at((nut)rev.)e
16 EXTR(a) ACTED
17 HIGH MASS – 2 defs
18 LACRIMAL – (calm liar)*. I’m not sure why there isn’t a question mark at the end, since you can be lacrimal for many reasons.
20 POO(D)LE
21 BERYLS – (sly reb)rev. The word ‘reb‘ was new to me, although it always seemed likely.
24 TEENS – 20 is the score
25 concerT WE Enjoyed
27 DIS – Walt Disney created the dog Pluto

5 Responses to “Independent 6731/Virgilius”

1. nmsindy says:

Brilliant thematic puzzle. I read 6 down as PLAY = move P LAY (position)

2. Scotty says:

Wonderful. Makes me glad I chose crosswords. Thank you Virgilius.

Unbelievably, 23 ac couldn’t be done by me!

3. beermagnet says:

Am I the only person to have a sense of deja vu when doing 25D after doing the Araucaria in the Guardian earlier in the day?

4. Mick H says:

I had deja about TWEE, and I HAVEN’T A CLUE made me wonder if there was a joint theme going on, with Araucaria’s THAT WAS THE WEEK (THAT WAS).
    30ac was thematically linked via 15sc (I think), but I didn’t quite see how BAD HAIR DAY fitted in. Oh, I see, scratching your head in puzzlement. I suppose tearing one’s hear out would make for an even worse hair day!

5. Mick H says:

Please add ‘vu’ in the appropriate place.