Guardian 24,388 (Logodaedalus)

diagacht.
1 HOARSE: A in HORSE
4 PASTIME: PA’S TIME
9 DEDICATED: DE (half dead) + CAT in DIED
10 IMPEL: MP in IE (that is) + L
11 OLDIE: (s)OLDIE(r)
12 ISINGLASS: I SING (tell all) + LASS. Something to do with sturgeon’s bladders, I understand.
13 KNOW-ALL: K + NO WALL
15 GAUCHO: GO around (AU + CH)
17 TIDY UP: anagram of DIY PUT
19 LADY DAY: March 25, the feast of the annunciation of the Virgin
22 POISONOUS: anagram of SOUP I SOON
24 RANGE: N (mathematicians shorthand for any number) in RAGE
27 PERMITTED: PERM IT TED!
28 DREISER: anagram of DESIRE + R. Refers to Theodore Dreiser the author of ‘An American Tradegy’
29 MESHED: ME + SHED
1 HADDOCK: HAD + DOCK
2 ADDED: ADDE(r) replacing the ‘r’ with a ‘D’
3 SECRETARY: SECRET + A RY
4 PUDDING: double definition
5 STING: ITS (reversed) + NG
6 IMPEACHED: DEMI (reversed) around PEACH
7 ENLIST: hidden in womEN LISTeners
8 IT GIRL: Italian’s daughter = IT GIRL
14 ORIGINATE: ORATE around (I GIN)
16 UNDERMINE: UNDER (controlled) + MINE
18 PROSPER: from Shakespeare’s ‘The Tempest’, PROSPER(o) loses nothing
19 LUSTRE: ST in LURE
20 YIELDED: anagram of EYELID + D
21 SPREAD: double definition

9 Responses to “Guardian 24,388 (Logodaedalus)”

1. Colin Blackburn says:

27ac was enjoyable.

28ac thanks for confirming the author, I’d not heard of him.

12 ISINGLASS is used as a fining in beer. It acts to clear the beer by carrying the yeast to the bottom of the container.

My quickest solve ever, I think!

I know ‘ISINGLASS’ from the curtains of the surrey with the fringe on top ['Oklahoma!']. I think it’s also used to pickle eggs.

I wasn’t altogether happy with 8dn: there didn’t seem to be a definition – unless it can be called an &lit?

3. Andrew says:

What’s going on with 25dn? The online version has the clue as “W has a degree? I’m not a child!” and the answer seems to be NOTCH, with very obvious wordplay, but I don’t see the definition. Is there a misprint or am I missing something obvious?

8dn – it looks rather as if “daughter” is doing double duty as part of both wordplay and definition; otherwise the def is just “thought to have charisma etc..” which is less than totally satisfactory.

I also made quick work of this one, after struggling more than usual with both Rufus and Araucaria so far this week.

4. Andrew says:

Looking at 25dn more closely it’s actually “Whas a degree? …”, which makes it even more of a mystery.

5. beermagnet says:

Andrew, 25D must have a small typo, the paper has
    What’s a degree? I’m not a child! (5)
    As you say, the wordplay is obvious, I took it to be that a “notch” is a degree on a scale.

6. Andrew says:

Thanks, Beermagnet, that makes sense.

7. smutchin says:

27ac made me laugh

1ac I thought might be HEARSE – tenuously transport for ‘out of date’ people

19dn – wasn’t happy with the definition ‘honour’

8. muck says:

Some iffy clues in this puzzle -

8dn IT GIRL: I don’t get it

19dn LUSTRE: I can’t see ‘honour’ as the defn either Smutchin

28ac DREISER: a bit obscure for a daily puzzle

9. Garry says:

1999 edition of COED has a definition for lustre: glory or distinction. I’d say that equates to honour.