Posted by Pete Maclean on May 15th, 2008
I found this puzzle rather difficult even after catching on to the theme, climate change. I got 18A wrong and did not find the solution to 17D. A few clues that struck me as both challenging and clever are 13A, 18A, 20A-4D and 27A.
1. BALL GOWN – BALL (round object) + G (string) + OWN (have)
5. SCREAM – S (second) + CREAM (top)
10. ROGUE – [pro]ROGUE (stop session)
11. RIVER BANK – RIVER (flower) + BANK (Oberon’s wild thyme etc)
12. ATTENTION – double definition
13. OUTDO – double/cryptic definition
14. DUGONG – DU (from the French) + GONG (medal)
15. ENFORCE – hidden word
18. ROBESON – “ROBE’s ON” (ceremonially clad). I first thought this was ORBISON — see comments below.
20, 4. GLOBAL WARMING – LOB (throw) in GAL (girl) + WAR (fights) + MING (China)
22. SPRIG – S (S-) + PRIG (self righteous person)
24. WILLPOWER – P (prince) in WILLOW (tree) + ER (queen)
25. HINDSIGHT – anagram of THINGS HID
26. IDRIS – D[olgellau] in IRIS (rainbow). The full name of the mountain is, I believe, Cadair Idris.
27. THEIST – T (time) + HEIST (crime)
28. PARTISAN – P (quiet) + ARTISAN (worker)
1. BARMAN – ARM (weapon) in BAR (prohibition)
2. LIGHT BULB – LIGHT (not serious) + BLUB (cry) backwards (up)
3. GREENHOUSE GASES – E + anagram of ENOUGH in GREASES (lubricants)
6. CARBON FOOTPRINT – NF (National Front) + O[rganisation] in CAR BOOT (sale) + PRINT (publish)
7. EXACT – double definition
8. MAKEOVER – double definition
9. AVENUE – A (a) + VENUE (place to meet)
16. ROADWORKS – A (adult) in ROD (corporal punishment) + WORKS (is successful)
17. BRASS HAT – BRASS (money) + HAT (cover)
19. NEW AGE – SEWAGE (refuse) with S changed to N (change poles)
20. GALATEA – GALA (celebratory) + TEA (meal). In Greek mythology, Galatea was a sculpture created by Pygmalion and brought to life by Aphrodite.
21. PRISON – IS (is) in PRON[e] (lying down deprived of energy)
23. RANGE – double definition