Independent 6740 / Phi – Elegant Stuff

Posted by tilsit on May 23rd, 2008

tilsit.

Solving time: 22 minutes

The usual high-calibre fare we have come to expect from Phi. Lots of clever clues and a smattering of new words. I was interested to see 3 down in Chambers, as I assumed it was one of those dreadful phrases imported from across the Big Pond.

Solving music: A collection of Eurovision Song Contest songs of the past. Enough said.

ACROSS (*) = ANAGRAM (R) = REVERSAL (CD) = CRYPTIC DEF.

1. SYLLABUB BALLY inside BUS (R) Syllabub seems to be having a renaissance on restaurant menus. What happened to good old blancmange?

6 THRACE TH(E)RACE Thrace designates a region spread over southern Bulgaria (Northern Thrace), northeastern Greece (Western Thrace), and European Turkey. In ancient times, Thrace stretched from the Danube to the Aegean, bounded on the east by the Black Sea and the Sea of Marmara, and on the west by the mountains east of the Vardar (Greek Axios) River.

9 WAGNER ENG (R) inside WAR

10 STRIKING Double def, one cryptic. The strikers of a soccer team are the forwards.

11 STAY ST(R)AY

12 QUEENCRAFT FREQUENT AC(T) *

13 JACK THE RIPPER JACK (TAR) = sailor HE inside TRIPPER

15 INTENSIVE CARE ANN RECEIVES IT* Nice “& LIT” clue

19 THORNINESS T (Tenor) + HORNINESS

21 ONYX ON + Y + X

23 BUDDLEIA BUDD(Y) + I in LEA

24 WEIGHT WE (F)IGHT

25 SEVENS EVEN inside SS

26 DARTMOOR ROOM TRAD (R)

DOWN

2 YEAST YEA + ST

3 SAND YACHT SANDY + ACHT I tend to think of Sandy as a man’s name (colloq of Andrew) rather than a girl’s name/

4 BAR-B-Q Q after BARB

5 BESIEGE E.G. (SAY) replacing D in BESIDE (next)

6 TYRANNISE IN A SENTRY *

7 ROKER RO(C)KER Roker is a seafront district of Sunderland. http://www.bbc.co.uk/wear/360/roker.shtml for a view of this lovely place.

8 CONIFERAE ON FIRE A* inside CE CONIFERAE – the genus of pines, etc.

13 JAILHOUSE J + AIL + H.O. + USE Friday Fasicnating fact. Elvis Presley refused to watch the film Jailhouse Rock as his co-star Judy Tyler was killed in a car crash just after completion of filming.

14 TINNINESS N inside TININESS

15 PLATONISM PLAIN MOST*

17 IRELAND IRE on LAND John Ireland is a Chamber Music composer.

19 RIDGE (B)RIDGE

20 SEWER W inside SEER

22 YAHOO HAY (R) + O +O

Thanks to Phi for a clever and entertaining puzzle.

8 Responses to “Independent 6740 / Phi – Elegant Stuff”

1. Ali says:

Another nice puzzle from Phi, with his quality clueing allowing me to guess at BUDDLEIA despite never having come across it before.

I’ve got 3D to be LAND YACHT, though I had SAND in for quite a while before twigging at SYLLABUB. A little odd I think, as SAND YACHT seems to be the more obvious answer. Is LANDY even a name!?

2. tilsit says:

Ali,

I slipped up and apologise. It obviously has to be LAND YACHT – the only Landy I know was somone (actually a bloke, I think) who gave their name to a bridge convention.

Buddleia is also called The Butterfly Bush.

3. Graham T says:

LANDY = N (number) in LADY

4. Ali says:

Ah, cheers Graham. I think both Dave and I were caught out by that then!

5. Phi says:

Note to Eimi: looks like you were right about them missing the Nina…

6. nmsindy says:

CONIFERAE This was tricky – I think the only anagram element was (fire)* = IFER, the rest being in sequence.

NE resort is talking ROKER up a bit, but it certainly was in the railway age, though known more as Sunderland.

Last week we had Arnold clued as a composer rather than more familiar alternatives perhaps. This week IRELAND.

Can’t see the Nina even after being told about it – maybe later in the day, if no light dawns for others, Eimi could reveal.

Enjoyed the puzzle.

7. Michod says:

OK, got the Nina now (on being prompted to look). Ace King Queen Jack Ten Nine Eight Seven in all the across rows – very good.
    One quibble – does horniness mean lechery (18ac)? Answers on a dirty postcard please.

8. nmsindy says:

Thanks, Michod, and, well done, Phi, in a puzzle that showed no strain in accommodating the theme.