Guardian 24399 Paul : “Render Bender”

Posted by neildubya on May 27th, 2008

neildubya.

Pretty straightforward Paul today, but full of fun.

ACROSS

1 s(kim)py

4 pi-l-char-d

9 tackle : typical Paulish schoolboy humour – made my day

10 pa(m ay)res : author of “I wished I’d looked after my teeth” and many, many other almost identical poems. Apparently the online version incorrectly had this as an (8) rather than a (3,5). If this were my puzzle, I’d be cross.

11 petit bourgeois : (u bigot is to peer)*

13 take to task

14 stye

16 duff : e.g “plum duff”

18 (i)sle-eveless : I assume this is a reference to  “isle of man”. Nice  touch that Adam alone would be “eveless”

21 who-pig-old-berg

23 train set : (nitrates)*

24 tongue in cheek : (necktie enough)*

25 (d)r(y)-i.e-sling

26 bender : after considerable debate : you get plastered (drunk) while on a bender, and a knee is something which bends, hence a “bender”. You’re not remotely stupid or alone if you got “render”.

DOWN

1 collectorS ITEms

3 p-all-i-ate

5 in a nutshell

6 charge

7 air-port : “air” as in “His early work had an air of freshness and originality” – yes, something of a stretch

8 omitted on purpose – simple anagram

12 bottle green

15 p(e)m- broke

17 foot-age : ref to Michael FOOT – Labour leader in that period

19 en(rag)ed : (need)* around “losing your rag”

20 spinal : “la nips” in reverse

22 you really need help with this one ??

20 Responses to “Guardian 24399 Paul : “Render Bender””

Some great clues here – especially 9ac [a real ‘laugh-out-loud’ one, 11ac 21ac 3dn.

Thanks for 26ac: I [stupidly] had ‘render’.

2. Andrew says:

No wonder I had trouble with 10ac – the online version has (8) for the enumeration instead of (3,5). Now that I get it, “time for Queen” is a nicely misleading indicator of MAY.

Apart from that, quite an easy one as you say, with Paul’s trademark “naughtiness” sneaking in at 9ac.

3. stan says:

THe more I think about it, the less I like “bender” and more I like “render” … “rendering” is plastering” and “to render” is an obedient kind of submission (“render unto Caesar”).

4. Andrew says:

Eileen: you are not alone in having – stupidly or otherwise – put RENDER for 26ac.

5. Andrew says:

Stan, that was exactly my reasoning, but I think the intended definition is “Get plastered on one”, plus knee=something that bends.

6. stan says:

Yes you’re right Andrew – it’s not like me to have a crisis of confidence about an answer

7. Kenny says:

I normally revert to a foetal position when I see Paul’s name but today I claim a rare victory.

On the render/bender front, I put in render but am starting to like bender more.

8. stan says:

Cheers Kenny, I think “Render Bender” is a fitting title for today’s puzzle.

Well, I conceded right at the beginning! ‘Bender’ is much cleverer.

10. Octofem says:

‘Pam Ayres’ as a word of eight letters really stumped me.Otherwise a great puzzle.

Just one thing that’s been bothering me and I thought someone might have commented on: 7dn: ‘character’ = ‘air’?

12. John Ridge says:

7dn: Is it possibly air as in “style”, “demeanour”? Bit of a stretch…

Can someone it run explain 25ac for me?

That’s all I could think of, John, but wasn’t ever so happy.

re 25ac: I made it ‘wine’ definition; dRy [lips meaning edges] IE that is + SLING [drink]

14. Geoff says:

My rationale for 7dn and 25ac was the same as John R and Eileen respectively, and I had BENDER!

This one took me a bit longer than most recent Pauls – names at 10ac and 21ac were a bit recalcitrant and although 11ac seemed an obvious anagram it took me a while to work it out.

15. beermagnet says:

I’m a “bender” man myself – err, let me rephrase that – oh don’t bother. Anyway, I can see there’s a case to be made for “render” so I turned to the on-line service to see what is the “official” answer using the “cheat” button, which said …
    … SENDER !!
    (No comment)

16. stan says:

Yes indeed – according to the online version we are supposed to have SENDER. Curse of The Grauniad strikes again, surely??

Can anyone come up with any reasoning for SENDER, however bizarre and warped and however full of wishful-thinking ? I can’t offer a prize, but respect will be due.

17. Michod says:

You’re all wrong – it’s TENDER! … what you feel the morning after being plastered, and, er… you kneel to tender your resignation?

The paper version has SENDER, too!

19. JW says:

How does 13d work?

20. Andrew says:

13d is DEW (early moisture) + AT (odd letters of ACTS) in (i.e. “breaking through”) TIER (layer)