Independent 6743/Dac

Posted by John on May 27th, 2008

John.

What’s Dac doing on a Tuesday? Something’s afoot. Oh yes, today must be special – look at the outer unches – in which case many congratulations.

A typical Dac, as usual excellent, but there were one or two answers I wasn’t quite comfortable with (a nice ambiguity: not comfortable because I didn’t like the clues or because I couldn’t understand them?).

7 BEG d(INNER) – ‘Here’s one’ refers to ‘starter’ and is the definition
9 ONE-WAY – (y(ou) awe no)rev.
10 L AMP – I think this is an &lit., where l is the abbreviation for ‘live’ (?? Not in chambers or the COD)
11 TABLE D’HOTE – (bloated the)*
12 ILKESTON – (likes to)* round n
13 PRIOR – 2 defs, the American reference new to me
14 PLIGHTS – 2 defs
16 BARSAC – (scarab)*
19 SAROS – o in SARS – not sure about ‘globe’ for ‘o'; saros is a word new to me
20 C(A STILL)A  – it’s an old region of Spain, I think
22 S(ANT)AM A RIA – (air)rev. – easy to fall into the trap of thinking ‘SA’ is ‘South America’ and then wondering how he gets the m
24 DEAR – “deer”
25 S OFTEN
26 B REACHES

1 TERAFLOP – (fear plot)* – so that’s why they’re called floppy disks – I’d always wondered, because they’re anything but floppy; for a while I had FLOPRATE, which didn’t help
2 HIP PIE
3 IN S(how) TITCHES
4 pROPErly
5 TECHNICS – “tec nix”
6 YATTER – (Ramsa)y (treat)*
8 RIBAND – (Ir)rev. band
13 PEAR-SHAPED – 2 defs
15 IR R(IT)ATE
17 COLLARED – 2 defs
18 SCAR A B
19 SH(AD)OW
21 IN DUCE – referring to Mussolini
23 MIND – 2 defs, although I’m not sure about ‘will’ = ‘mind’

12 Responses to “Independent 6743/Dac”

1. neildubya says:

Indeed, many congratulations to Dac and MrsDac.

Good puzzle as usual for Dac, although I found it a bit harder than usual.

2. C G Rishikesh says:

Though Chambers (1998) itself does not have l = live, Chambers XWD, A Dictionary of Crossword Abbreviations has it.

3. Andrew says:

No, floppy disks really are floppy (at least the bit inside the case is – take one apart and see), in distinction to hard disks. Older readers will remember 5.25 inch floppies, which had a much flimsier sleeve. (Even older readers may remember 8 inch floppies used in what we used to call “minicomputers”. And younger readers may never have seen a floppy disk at all…)

The “flop” in TERAFLOP is unrelated to floppiness, being an abbreviation of FLoating-point OPeration.

4. Ali says:

I found this one a little tricky too, and was eventually defeated by 8D. I never think to look for anything untoward in Dac’s puzzles and completely missed the Nina on my first pass, but it helped with a few missing answers when I eventually spotted it. Congrats to the happy couple.

5. Michod says:

Congratulations Dac, I’m sure this will mean more than flowers (oh, what – as well as? Of course).
    I’d say Castilla is still a region of Spain – possibly two regions, Castilla-La Mancha and Castilla-Leon.

6. beermagnet says:

Surely “having prior” means the same in the UK these days, (i.e. “having form”) or am I mis-remembering what I hear on the cop shows?

The Saros cycle is well known to us eclipse nuts and worthy of a link – which I would put here but I suspect it is the inclusion of a link that is sending my comment into the spam bucket – I suggest googling “saros” and choosing the NASA pages.

I certainly liked this new Daconian concept – instead of “say it with flowers” – “say it with outer unches”!

7. nmsindy says:

Congrats, Dac, an excellent puzzle as normal – just a little harder cos of the constraints. I spotted the message only very near the end. Though I don’t think Merlin will like globe = o in SAROS.

8. Michod says:

I think we say “‘e’s got previous”, rather than “prior”.

9. nmsindy says:

I think the L = live issue came up on this board before. It’s definitely OK, I think, given in Collins (ref:electricity, I guess). The ‘prior’ in that American sense was new to me too, but my COD gives it. While I know it’s not continuous, guys, ‘perimeter’ sounds better than ‘outer unches’ certainly among ladies of my acquaintance anyway.

10. beermagnet says:

You’re right Michod, “previous”.

11. Quixote says:

You’re five years behind us, Dac, but heartiest congratulations to you both!

12. Richard Woodcock says:

I really enjoyed this and completely missed the anniversary message until I saw earlier comments – congratulations Dacs! Ashamed to say I didn’t get 5d – oh well, there’s always the next one.