Guardian 24,400 – Pasquale

dd = double definition
cd = cryptic definition
ha = hidden answer
rev = reversed or reversal
cha = charade
ins = insertion

After my baptism of fire with The Master, I am equally blessed this week with my assignment, blogging Pasquale aka Don Manley, whose Crossword Guide (Chambers) was a trusted companion during my early crossword days. Quite an entertaining puzzle with some new words for me.

8 CAMOMILE Cha of CAM (river/flower) O (old) MILE (lots of yards, 1760 to be exact)
9 TO A MAN Ins of A MA (a mother) in TON (fashion)
10 NARDOO Cha of NARD (aromatic plant) OO (ducks) I quite like the imagery of aquatic birds being drawn to an aromatic plant
11 RIGADOON Cha of RIGA (capital of Latvia) DO ON (party taking place)
12 EDGE dd
13 EPISTOLARY *(Italy prose)
15 FEBRILE Cha of FEB (month when it should be cold for the Northern Hemisphere) RILE (bother)
16 COLOGNE Ins of LOG (record) in CONE (something locking road) Could there possibly be a misprint and locking should be blocking?
18 OSTEOPATHS *(as the stoop)
19 CLEG Cha of C (circa/on) LEG (to dash away) Somehow I am uneasy with “at maximum speed” to indicate LEG
20 BANNERET Ins of ANN (girl) in BERET (hat)
22 REFUSE - referee use
23 CLOSET Ins of L (large) in CO (firm) + SET (group)
24 CONSERVE Cha of CON (Tory) SERVE (minister)

1 SAN ANDREAS FAULT cd This earthquate-related geographic feature lies in the vicinity of Los Angeles where Hollywood is
2 COLDHEARTEDNESS What a clever and cheeky way to graphically show that C (cold) is in the middle of ICE
3 BIT ONES LIP Ins of I-TONES (one sounds) in BLIP (minor deviation) Devilishly clever clue that escaped me the first time …. this parsing due to collective wisdom of the community. Thank you.
4 GEORGIA This state anthem Georgia On My Mind was by Stuart Gorrell and Hoagy Carmichael. It was a huge hit for Ray Charles
5 STAG ha
6 DANDELION COFFEE *(no offence laddie) Is there really such a drink?
7 LABOUR-INTENSIVE Charade of LABOUR (party) IN (at home) ins of IV (4) in TENSE (nerve-racking)
14 TROUSERING How does one categorise this kind of clue? Punny definition? But I learned another meaning for ‘trouser’
17 STATICE Cha of STATIC (not going anywhere) E (energy)
21 ROTH Philip *(authors minus a us)

20 Responses to “Guardian 24,400 – Pasquale”

1. conradcork says:

19 across. Maximum speed is C (the speed of light). Leg is ‘on’ in the cricketing sense.

2. John Ridge says:

6dn: according to the OED, dandelion coffee is “a beverage prepared from dried dandelion roots”. News to me!

3. Tom Hutton says:

3d possibly blip round 1 tones

4. Michod says:

Yes, I had BLIP around I TONES. But then the definition is ‘manifesting repressed anger’, which surely should be BITING ONES LIP, so I don’t quite get this.
    I was defeated by NARDOO and CLEG – quite a few unfamiliar words here for midweek. One of my colleagues is experimentally eating and drinking only UK produce this week, so maybe I’ll try to get her some dandelion coffee – sticking to the real stuff myself though!

5. Andrew says:

Michod: I think the def is “repressed anger” (with “repressed” as a verb), and “manifesting” is just a linking word.

I got CLEG via C-LEG as Conradcork says, but NARDOO was tough as I didn’t know either the word itself or NARD. I wonder if Don M thought of linking the clues 10 and 11 ac, as RIGADOON includes all the letters of NARDOO.

6. Michod says:

Thanks Andrew, that makes sense. I wasn’t seeing repressed as a verb.

7. beermagnet says:

16A Yes. The version in the paper has “blocking” in the clue. However, for 7D there is the same misprint “aound”.

10A NARDOO: Chuffed that I got that – had to check both it and Nard though I had an inkling about nard.
    Ditto 17D STATICE Easy clue for an unknown word.
    Though kicking myself I failed to get ROTH (shouldn’t there have been a reverse indicator in that clue somehow to be fair), and also didn’t get 20A Banneret – there’s another to remember.
    I was pleased to get all the 15 letter lights quite quickly but resigned myself to not finishing when I realised there were several hard words in there that I’d be lucky to get.

Not heard of dandelion coffee! What do you think we had in the war laddie (according to my mum). In fact it is not as bad as it sounds, though I prefer the real caffeinated version every time. My ex-wife drank it but I found the very fine powder instant version a bit “dusty” and insipid.

8. conradcork says:

Dandelion coffee is FWIW still available and not bad either, though Beermagnet is right, the powder version is dusty. Best to try the granules.

We often discuss the merits of the stuff at my local get a life club.

9. Geoff says:

I was pleased that I managed to finish this one, although Chambers had to be consulted to verify several entries. Rather a tricky puzzle for midweek, I thought, because Pasquale had ignored the general rule for everyday crosswords of ‘hard word/easy clue and vice versa’.

Some very good clues, though – the Don is (almost) always scientifically precise in his clueing, although clever decoy words can mask the exactness. For example: ‘manifesting’ in 3dn, which makes ‘repressed’ sound adjectival, whereas (as Andrew points out) it is really a verb in the definition part.

Re Beermagnet’s comment, the letters ROTH are not present in reverse order in ‘Authors’. My explanation for 21dn is that ‘possibly’ is being used as an anagrind in this case – the ‘sequence’ clearly being A US ROTH (in whichever order you like). The result is a rather clever &lit – Philip ROTH (‘Portnoy’s Complaint’ etc) being an American novelist, of course.

16ac: Spent an inordinate amount of time trying to work out how ‘bona’ could be ‘something blocking road’!! So annoying when you get something stuck in your head and can’t see the wood for the trees!

11. Michod says:

I fell into the same trap, Eileen – Bologna seemed a reasonable fit till I saw Cologne (now I want them to rhyme).

12. Pasquale says:

Thank you for all the feedback — always fascinating to read. The starting point for this puzzle was OPODOLDEC, which I came across in Tom Brown’s Schooldays and which (curiously) escaped all mention on this blog! Till the next time.

13. Berny says:

I had Zip Ones Lip

14. beermagnet says:

I think the reason OPODOLDEC escaped any mention here is because we can’t see it anywhere in the grid. Pasquale – Please explain!

15. Pasquale says:

Whoops – sorry, I was confusing this with another puzzle!! Please forget — quickly!!

16. muck says:

Mr Google hasn’t heard of OPODOLDEC

17. Pasquale says:

And I misspelt it on this blog — let’s forget it ( talk among yourselves). Over and out!

18. Fletch says:

Ahhh, opodeldoc!

19. mark says:

Surely in 3D it’s the BLIP that stifled I+TONE not the other way around. It doesn’t make the clue any neater the way written and misleads to no effect – grrr.

20. Uncle Yap says:

I have seen the errors of my ways and have since edited the original blog to read thus :