Posted by Octofem on May 30th, 2008
Not too troublesome today – one or two pleasing clues with a few rather obvious ones.
1. TAFFRAIL – <fat-frail (upper part of the stern of a ship)
5. STASIS – dd. (East German secret police, suspended animation)
9. REINVENT – rein, vent
10. VIRAGO – ( Virgo with ‘a’)
11. ADHESIVE – a -d-hes-ive – (a dive in the sense of a low class club etc)
14. STONEHENGE – *gets around one-hen ( This was rather neat, I thought)
18. FIELD EVENT- def., as opposed to track event
22. LOOK ON – o.k. within loon (American name for a diving bird)
23. CAREFREE – (s) care – free.
25. TINCTURE – dd. ( or maybe treble, a solution of alcohol and water, a trace or smattering, a dye or pigment)
26. TURRET- *utter with r from revived
27. ENGENDER – very obvious one with e-ng-ender.
1. TURBAN – t-urban
2,16. FLIGHT RECORDER dd (black box used to track aircraft’s history after crash, for instance)
3. RAVISH – vi within rash ( reminds me of a time many years ago at University when I declared
to friends that a dishy professor had ‘ravished me with a smile.’ An early example of my misuse of words – truly!
4. INNOVATIVE- In -Nov <Evita (Another inventive clue )
6. TWILIGHT – Not sure of the word-play here. Twilight Zone is a well-known American TV series
which no doubt has many followers but could do with an explanation of the clue.
7,20. STAMPING GROUND * mad pigs grunt on
8. SHOULDER – should -er ( to bear in sense of carry)
13. INUNDATE- i-n-und-ation (German word for’and’ within 1 nation)
15. AFFLUENT – effluent with change of first letter
17. ADVOCATE – ad-vo-ca-te
19. RESCUE (rest-cue , with t(ime) removed)2
21. METEOR *remote