Independent 6750/Dac

Posted by neildubya on June 4th, 2008

neildubya.
1 MAT,THE,W – not sure which writer this is referring to; perhaps the author of the Gospel of MATTHEW?
5 DEFACED – the letters of which are all musical notes.
10 OB,[-a]VIATING
11 DE,CLARE – I didn’t understand “nun, poor woman” when I filled this in but a bit of Googling reveals that it seems to be a reference to Clare of Assisi, who founded an order of nun known as the Poor Clares.
16 PROPOSITION – not really about this one. A PROPOSITION is an invitation to have sex, which kind of fits with “call girl’s job” but why does the clue end “is to —”?
18 ERE in THIN
24 [-m]INI,GO
25 (ENTRIES)* – a reference to the schools founded by STEINER Waldorf.

2 TOUT COURT – this was new to me also. Literally means “very short” (I think) in French but has come to mean “briefly”.
5 VID (going up) – DIV is a shortened form of “divvy”. Nice (and somewhat surprising) to see that a bit of playground slang from my childhood has made it into the dictionary. The COED has, tantalisingly: “-ORIGIN 1970s: of unknown origin”.
6 RAG in FILE
7 hidden in “lunCH IN Eatery” – a cut of meat, usually pork I think.
8 DIG,IT,A LIN[-e]
12 (TO S COU[-n]TRIES)* – ECOTOURISTS.
13 DIP,”Styx” – a reference to the mythological river which separated Earth from the Underworld.
14 (TRAIN LINE)* – TRIENNIAL, or once every three years.
19 hidden reversed in “determinED AVEnger”
21 E,POXY
23 alternate letters of “rEpAiRs”

13 Responses to “Independent 6750/Dac”

1. Testy says:

16A A call girl’s job would be a PRO POSITION (PRO being short for prostitute)

2. Testy says:

… and her job would also be to PROPOSITION people.

PS. I’m never terribly keen on clues like 5A where the wordplay is simply hinting at the fact that the word is made up from a pool of letters that is smaller than the normal 26.

Otherwise an enjoyable puzzle.

Like you I assumed that MATTHEW was referring to the gospel writer.

3. Colin Blackburn says:

I managed to write in a completely wrong answer for 5 which created no end of problems. I wrote in FESTOON Sometime I really should check the definition of a word rather than assume some obscure link between two words.

4. nmsindy says:

5A is a device I’ve seen before (with FACADE) – You’d need crossing letters and a fairly clear definition to confirm. Good puzzle as always from Dac, with the SE corner the trickiest.

Yes, MATTHEW is the gospel writer, I’d say.

5. Richard Palmer says:

I particularly liked the clue to PROPOSITION.

I share the misgivings about 5ac.

I hadn’t heard of TOUT COURT before and only heard of DIV as a mathematical operator.

6. conradcork says:

25. Not Waldorf, Rudolf.

7. Duggie says:

5A: one problem with this sort of loosely-defined clue is that EFFACED could have been an answer – it certainly caught me out.

8. neildubya says:

25 Rudolf STEINER Waldorf, I thought?

9. conradcork says:

Rudolf Steiner and/or his acolytes opened schools called Waldorf, but I have never seen it as part of his given name.

10. nmsindy says:

I’d never heard of this before today, but when I’d worked out STEINER from the anagram, I went to Wikipedia and this is what I found “Waldorf education (also known as Steiner or Steiner-Waldorf education”

11. Peter Biddlecombe says:

Duggie: I briefly considered EFFACED but decided that DEFACED meant “spoiled” far more strongly than EFFACED, to efface being to obliterate/erase rather than to damage. So I don’t think the “loosely defined” charge is fair.

Found this one fairly tough for Dac, taking ages at the end to think of (a)VIATING to follow O.B.

12. DUNCE says:

Hope somebody sees this even though its late: I wonder if anyone has ever thought of having a “wrong answer of the month” competition. If so, I would like to tender my entry for 26A: “Writer certainly reflected about cause of suffering”. Rather than SHELLEY, I put ERASMUS. (SURE around ASM, which Chambers gives as “Air To Surface missile”. Topical, huh?

13. nmsindy says:

I think ’cause of suffering’ would be very loose for ASM, there’d have to be some indication what it was. While I’ve not gone to other dicts, and maybe it’s there, Chambers would not be used for the daily puzzle, I think. Can’t ever recall seeing ASM used, even in a advanced puzzle.