Guardian 24407 – Paul

dd = double definition
cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
* = anagram

I am ever so blessed with my Guardian assignments. Today I landed another of my favourite compilers. Who can forget his “Man United playing away from home (9)” and the beauty of such a clue is that you can repeat it in any circle and get the same laughs from people who may have no inkling of what a cryptic crossword clue is.

Today’s theme is also one that is close to a Malaysian’s heart, since Sepang in Malaysia is one of the Formula One circuits since 1999. Indeed a very entertaining themed puzzle

1 AEROSOL Rev of LO (look) SORE (painful) A
5 MUD BATH Paul the compiler has two other pseudonyms, Mudd in the Financial Times and Punk in the Independent. MUD (Mud(d) my name disgraced, probably from tail docked or tail between the legs) BATH (an English city where my good friend, Dr Brain Skinner lives)
9 ORBED Cha of OR (gold, precious metal) BED (bottom)
10 WINDSTORM *(mind worst)
11 SUNGLASSES Cha of SUNG (delivered a song) LASSES (girls)
21,12 RINGTAIL Cha of RING (call) TAIL (back) see opossum/possum in Chambers
22 BAWDYHOUSE *(wash bed ye)
25 HUNGARIAN Cha of HUNG (suspended) ARIAN (Arianism is the heretical doctrine of Arius, that Christ was not consubstantial) The Magyar Nagydíj has been part of the F1 Circuit since 1986
26 LOTUS A good British name that has fallen on hard times in the racing scene; the company has since been acquired by a Malaysian concern
27 PHONEME See Chambers
28 SHANNON Cha of SH (quiet) ANN (girl) ON. There are two rivers of that name, one in Ireland and one in Minnesota, USA

2,14 RUBENS BARRICHELLO Cha of RUBENS (Peter Paul 1577–1640) BARRI(e) (J. M. Barrie (1860–1937), Scottish novelist and dramatist; creator of Peter Pan) HELLO (greeting)
3 SADDLEBACK Cha of SADDLE (burden) BACK (support) I was most surprised to see tucked away in Chambers a definition thus a breed of pig
4,8 LEWIS HAMILTON Cha of Lewisham (part of London) ‘ILTON (the Cockney’s posh hotel Hilton) Well, this British driver has really startled the racing world with his flair and I pick him to win the Driver’s Championship this season. Wonder what’s the odds now?
5 MANNERISM Cha of MANN (Paul Thomas, 1875–1955, a German novelist, short story writer, social critic, philanthropist, essayist, and 1929 Nobel Prize laureate) ER (Elizabeth Regina or queen) M (male)
6 DASH dd
7 ADORABLE Cha of A DO (a party) (g)RABLE (after Betty ,1916–1973, an American dancer, singer and actress)
13 CHINCHILLA Ins of CHILL (possible reason for fur coat) in CHINA (country)
15 RE-EXAMINE Ins of E (English) in REX (king) + A MINE (a pit)
16 STARSHIP Cha of STARS (features) HIP (with it) I think there is a typo here with traveller.
In the Times today, I saw at http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/
Obama wants Clinton on his side – not at his side
Barack Obama must heal deep divisions within the Democrats but aides say he has little desire to accomodate Hillary Clinton
I have always been told “double c double m” for accommodate
17,1 FERNANDO ALONSO Cha of FERN (plant) AND (with) O (old) + ALONSO *(saloon)
20,19 JENSON BUTTON Cha of JENSEN (Homophone of Jensen, a defunct sports car manufacturer from UK) and BUTTON (switch)
23 DANES ha
24 FACE F + ace (one in a pack of cards)

17 Responses to “Guardian 24407 – Paul”

5ac: ‘My name is mud’ is a common expression for ‘I am disgraced’.

16dn: ‘traveller’ is the English spelling of American ‘traveler’!

2. Paul B says:

Re ‘my name is Mudd’ he tells me that’s the gag. Another great showing from the setter whose name in The Guardian is not Mudd.

‘Dr. Brain Skinner’? Neurology by any chance?

3. Michod says:

Lewisham ‘ilton made me laugh out loud on the tube – can’t believe I haven’t spotted that before. Great stuff Paul, beautifully economic wording.

4. smutchin says:

Michod, glad I’m not the only one who had a commutery chuckle at that one. No wonder I always seem to enjoy my morning train ride more than the sudokists.

5. Garry says:

Quite surprised there haven’t been a lot of moans about the theme. I thought I’d struggle with this but I did OK.

6. Andrew says:

Garry – I’m probably less interested in F1 than most people (and totally baffled as to the appeal), but I also had very little trouble with this one. I’d heard of all the drivers apart from FERNANDO ALONSO, though I had to do some checking for spellings (F1 drivers do seem to specialise in strange names). Anyway, I don’t mind the occasional obscure (to me) theme – and the laugh I got from the Lewisham ‘ilton makes up for a lot.

7. Michod says:

Ha – but I just realise I got my Jensons/Jensens the wrong way round… not being petrolheaded enough to know which was the car and which the driver!

8. stan says:

18a was amazing – T ‘rench ‘erman – what a great clue !

24dn was a nice final touch, too, after all the other F1s – whch I amazed myself by being able to get [with a little help from Google.] I share Andrew’s bafflement. And what IS the charm of sudoku, compared with the delights of such as today’s brilliant puzzle?

Thank you Paul – not one of your most difficult but immensely satisfying. 18ac and 4,8dn both in the same puzzle – marvellous! [I liked 22ac, too.]

PS.1ac was pretty clever, too – it’s not just a reverse charade: ‘AEROSOL’ is a ‘can spraying’.

11. Qaos says:

Easier than most by Paul, but still a delight to solve. I’ve been working my way through his Guardian Setter Series book, which I can heartily recommend for those who missed his earlier efforts.

For some reason, I managed to put PROPOSE in for 27ac (“give me a ring” being the def, with “for a term in linguistics” = PRO + PROSE) with an R going AWOL. With 15, 16 and 17 all matching letters correctly, it never occurred to re-check it. So it did make me laugh when I saw the solution to 24d and realised why I hadn’t managed to get it!

12. Gail says:

A nice puzzle (apart from the theme – HELP!). Either Paul is getting easier, or I am getting better at reading him – I suspect the latter! But the racing drivers had to be Googled, I’m afraid – I’ll confess. Jensen Button exhausted my knowledge (he was the first one I got from a fairly straightforward clue)and every other racing driver I know is either dead or retired, or wouldn’t fit the clues or the letters!

So – well done to those of you who got your Rubens Barrichellos and whatever Alonsos – see I’ve forgotten his name by now – LOL

But some lovely clues otherwise.

13. Val says:

Uncle Yap – I’m afraid “Man United playing away from home” has got me stumped. Could you explain? I’m assuming it’s an anagram of (Man United) but I can’t find one!

Val – forgive me for jumping in but in case Uncle Yap doesn’t see your message: I tried for a long time for an anagram, too but I think it must be ADULTERER!

15. Val says:

Thanks, Eileen. I don’t think I would ever have got that!

16. Uncle Yap says:

That is why it will eventually become a classic and be included in Don Manley’s next edition of the Crossword Guide; just like Rufus’s Jammed cylinder (5,4)

Swiss roll?