Independent 6747/Virgilius

Posted by neildubya on June 6th, 2008

neildubya.

The theme for this puzzle is Chaucer’s “Canterbury Tales”. The 12, the 13, the 18, the 20, the 24 and the 8 all have their own tales, as does the Nun’s 22. Indeed,”Canterbury Tales” was my first answer for 29, although it soon became apparent that this wasn’t right.

1 (SPOUT BRILLIANCE)* – PUBLIC RELATIONS. I think this can be counted as a thematic answer as it’s concerned with story-telling (RELATIONS).
9 LEI,TRIM
10 N in (RAVE UP)* – PARVENU. The Chambers Online definition (“respectively a man or woman who has recently acquired substantial wealth but lacks the social refinement sometimes thought necessary to go with it”) is a little different to “emergent celebrity” but the COED has something a bit closer: “a person of obscure origin who has gained wealth, influence or celebrity.
11 REAM,ENDED
12 hidden reversed in “ouR AIR Force”
13 [MAN for PRIN]CIPLE – last one in and not a word I’d heard of before. The wordplay couldn’t really be any clearer so I should have got this much quicker I think.
20 PAR,DONE,R – “between two and six” must be a reference to golf and hole pars.
24 hidden in “BerkshiRE EVEntually” – as a verb, this means “to pass (e.g. a rope) through a hole, opening or ring”.
26 NO BALL< in BIG – BILLABONG
28 ZOO< in (LIFE)* – FLOOZIE.
29 TRAVELLER’S TALES – having seen FRIAR, PARDONER and SQUIRE go into the grid I originally filled in CANTERBURY TALES here, an answer which was “confirmed” by 16. Consequently, the lower half of the grid took much longer than it really should have.

1/17 PILGRIM’S PROGRESS – not entirely sure what the connection is to 29 but I guess it could be a reference to the characters that the Pilgrim, Christian, meets along the way.
2 R in (CABIN IN T)* – BRITANNIC.
4 RE,(SELDOM)* – REMODELS.
7 hidden in “credO BELIever” – an OBELUS is a sign used in manuscripts to mark words or passages as spurious.
8 S,QUIRE
15 (GO IN LURE Z)* – RING OUZEL. Somehow managed to guess this correctly, although I already had the Z filled in, which helped a lot.
19 O,VERA,WE
22 RI in PEST – a PRIEST is a mallet used to kill fish when caught.
23 AB,LIES (going up)
25 hidden in “amERICAns”

8 Responses to “Independent 6747/Virgilius”

1. nmsindy says:

Knowing the Canterbury tales not so much from the work but from thematic crossword s over the years I think 13ac (Manciple’s tale) is part of it and it helped me when solving this excellent puzzle as we always get from Virgilius.

2. eimi says:

I’m a little surprised at the lack of comments, as I thought this was a corker, but perhaps because we always expect such good puzzles from Virgilius his puzzles may be taken for granted.

3. nmsindy says:

It was indeed a corker, Eimi, but I think it’s general practice that you get more comments “on the day” however good the puzzles are. Puzzles with solutions appearing later are in another category, I think, blogwise anyway. Hope we’ll continue to see the master, Virgilius, fortnightly at least in the Indy…

4. beermagnet says:

I agree with Nms. Also, blogs attracting few comments do not necessarily reflect the quality of the crossword, or the blog. Sometimes there’s just no more to be said.

Neil was not the only one – I confidently and indelibly engraved CANTERBURY rather than TRAVELLER’S in 29A.

5. nmsindy says:

“Sometimes there’s just no more to be said.” I absolutely agree with Beermagnet – I’ve noticed in doing this blog since it started that Virgilius puzzles often attract little comment at all. I think this is because, once you’ve got to the answer by the many different ways Virgilius takes you there, there is never any doubt about the answer.

6. DUNCE says:

Could anyone help me here? I’d like the clue to 29A for this crossword. It didnt appear on my print version, sigh! Just the clue, please.

7. nmsindy says:

“Tall stories from 8, 12, et al”

8. DUNCE says:

Thanx. Actually, I’d guessed the solution from “PRIEST”, but thank again anyway.