Independent 6752/Radian

Posted by John on June 6th, 2008

John.

It was obvious that something was in store for today, Phi having been moved to Thursday. So far as I can see it’s because it’s 64 years after D-Day. But 64? Is that so special? I must be missing something.

Several nice clues, but one or two I’m not sure about and one whose explanation completely defeats me.

7 HOUSEHOLD WORDS – 12 is ‘sword’, an anagram of ‘words’, but …
9 STOOGE – the answer was clear enough (OO in (gets)*), but to explain it I had to Google this, my only experience of the Three Stooges coming from Blackadder. Is it quite sound? Isn’t ‘Curly’ doing double duty?
10 MEAN(DER)S
11 COXSWAIN – (ox (was)*) in (a)c(t)i(o)n; Israel Hands was a coxswain in Treasure Island, or so I assumed. But Google doesn’t confirm this, so ??
13 EX O(n)CE T – ‘leaving’ = ‘omitting’, something that comes from time to time in crosswords and which always seems a bit odd to me
15 DO GOOD BY STEALTH – (dogsbody at hotel)* – a quote from Alexander Pope
18 PARDON – (Patton – tt)*, round rd
19 EGOMANIA – (me again)* round (Palerm)o
22 CUL DE SAC – (Dac’s clue)*
24 S(ea) CURVY – &lit. I think, although ‘each’ doesn’t really seem to fit in the surface reading
26 TREASURE ISLAND – (art and leisure s(ex))*

1 GHETTO – (the(y) got)*
2 JUNO – “do you know”, ref ‘Juno and the Paycock’, the play by Sean O’Casey
3 OEDEMA?? – I can’t understand the wordplay at all
4 NORMANDY BEACHES – (send Boche army)* around (C)a(e)n – the first five are all Normandy beaches, but I don’t quite get ‘invade on D-Day’, apart from the obvious fact that they all were invaded then
5 ADJACENT – (Canadajet – a)*
6 GOLD – first letters, &lit.
8 DARKEST – Drake’s t with the r moved down a peg
12 SWORD – (rows)rev. D
14 OklahOMA HArdliners
16 OPAQUER – qu in (opera)*
17 DINOSAUR – (is around)* – some think that a meteorite caused the extinction of the dinosaurs
20 croSSES BOrder – hidden rev.
21 INVADE – (n V) in (idea)*
23 D-DAY, although the cryptic element escapes me
25 UTAH – (hat u)rev.

14 Responses to “Independent 6752/Radian”

1. Testy says:

1A HOUSEHOLD WORDS are the “Well known names” and “domestic” gives us HOUSEHOLD and “form of 12″ gives us (SWORD)*. I thought that this was fine.

9A I guess that Larry or Moe on their own are sufficient to define STOOGE with Curly just serving as the anagrind.

11A he was indeed a character in Treasure Island as well as being a real life 2nd in command to Blackbeard.

13A if the word “once” was to was to walk out of the door but “leave” behind the letter n then it would give you OCE so this seams fine to me too.

3D has me stumped too.

4D I think you are not meant to read the “d” in “21d on 25″ as indicating down but as “INVADEd on D-DAY”.

23 “Eisenhower initially” is DD (Dwight D Eisenhower) and “given the go ahead” is AY (as in yes)

2. C G Rishikesh says:

Re 3dn

The clue-writer probably suggests that even if you remove O (ocean, current) from OEDEMA, it is EDEMA, a variant for the “buildup of water”.

3. John says:

Thanks for the clarification, Testy. But two of your comments don’t convince me: 11A yes certainly Israel Hands was a character in T I, but my point was that I can find no evidence that he was a coxswain; and your justification of ‘leave’ seems tortuous in the extreme, and in any case requires ‘leaves’ to do double duty – to indicate the walking out of the door and also to indicate the leaving behind of the ‘n’ – so surely that’s not what’s intended. I think it’s more likely that it’s simply a slightly unusual use of the word ‘leave': Chambers gives ‘abandon’ as one of the meanings.

4. Andrew says:

OEDEMA is defined as “An excessive accumulation of serous fluid in tissue spaces or a body cavity.” – so the clue is a reference to “serious” with or without I=”current” (as in Ohm’s law for example). Just a tad obscure, I would say..

5. Andrew says:

The text of Treasure Island is here, and in Chapter 10 I find “And the coxswain, Israel Hands, was a careful, wily, old, experienced seaman who could be trusted at a pinch with almost anything.”

6. Testy says:

13A My example was facetious. The point is that if A leaves B then, depending on how you read it, you could say that A is no longer part of B because it has left B or that B is no longer part of A because it has been left (out/behind) by A. So I think it works perfectly well either way.

11A The Wikipedia article for Treasure Island says he was the coxswain.

3D I’m still not convinced. O is not a direct abbreviation for “current” and “serious” seems a bit superfluous.

7. Testy says:

Victim of slow typing again! Thanks Andrew that makes sense now but rather a tough one to spot.

8. Richard Palmer says:

I actually solved 26A from the clue to 11A before I got to it. I finished the bottom half quickly but struggled to finish the top half.

A few quibbles apart from those mentioned:

I don’t like ‘slum’ as a definition of GHETTO. It is an area where a certain race lives which is not the same thing at all.

The thing that killed off the dinosaurs was a lot bigger than a meteorite – an asteroid or (more likely) a comet.

24A – It’s not an & lit, but ‘sea’ is doing double duty. The bends is not part of the definition.

9. nmsindy says:

I guess you could commemorate it every year, John, or maybe Radian with that pseudonym is a mathematician so squares such as 64 have extra significance…

10. Testy says:

I guess the meaning of GHETTO has evolved over the years and often relates to relatively poor areas of cities. Dictionary.com defines it as “a section of a city, esp. a thickly populated SLUM area, inhabited predominantly by members of an ethnic or other minority group, often as a result of social or economic restrictions, pressures, or hardships”.

24A as with “Curly” the setter is deliberately blurring the boundary between the definition and wordplay. Here the definition could just be “Disease” so “sea” doesn’t have to do any moonlighting.

11. eimi says:

I had my red pen poised over ‘slum’ until I discovered definitions such as the one Testy mentions. I have to accept that meanings and even spellings change over time and if a reputable dictionary justifies a definition I’m inclined to leave it, but I was surprised to find in the COED that ‘just desserts’ is now more common than ‘just deserts.’ Or is that a trifling matter?

12. Michod says:

Spotting the theme was made slightly easier by the front cover headline: “THE FINAL BATTLE -Help us make one last journey to the D-Day beaches in honour of the fallen, plead veterans”. Those of you who go straight to the crossword online might have missed that one!
    Intriguing to see that the editor had prior editorial knowledge, in view of the history of D-Day themed crosswords…

13. Radian says:

Fascinating stuff Michod. I had hoped to squeeze in PLUTO and MULBERRY but something had to go. Please accept I had no prior knowledge of today’s headline, nor I expect had our esteemed ed. for all his foresight. According to yesterday’s comments, some of you had already worked out what was over the horizon.

As to my profession, you’re well wide of the mark. Mathematician? No way! I always remember The Longest Day, shot in Normandy when I was working as a waiter in Cherbourg. Some of the bit players came into the restaurant for some R&R. Talking about films, The Three Stooges was a childhood favourite, never-to-be-forgotten B&W images of madcap antics.

As a new kid on the grid, can I thank all bloggers for their comments: every little helps.

14. nmsindy says:

Radian leading to mathematician query was intended as a joke of course. Saw the film, read the book, not around when it all happened (though not too far in the future).