Independent 6,756 – Dac

Posted by Ali on June 11th, 2008

Ali.

More great stuff from the mid-week master, with some class clues along the way. A very enjoyable way to spend a bus journey to work.

1 CASELOAD – CASE,LOAD – “Bar work” is a nice definition
5 SPADES – PAD[-re] in S(unday) S(chool)
10 COMBATANT – (BATMAN)* in COT
12 LIGHT ON – Chambers defines this as ‘to come upon by chance’. Don’t think I’ve ever come across this meaning before
13 NIGELLA – GEL in NIL,A – ‘gel’ is an upper-class pronunciation of ‘girl’
14 VICTORIA FALLS – ‘Posh’ here referring to Mrs. Beckham
18 SIT ON THE FENCE – (ONE THIEF SENT +C)* – Lovely anagram
20 HOUDINI – HOU[-r],D,IN,I – Some may argue that the rather cheeky ’45 minutes’ (three-quarters of an hour!) wordplay isn’t fair, but I liked it a lot. Besides, how many other escapologists are there!?
22 MAYFAIR – MAY,”FARE”
24 REINSEPCT – IN in RESPECT – Sock it to me, sock it to me, etc.
25 TEACH – TEA,C,H – The wordplay here seems to give TEAHC, but I guess ‘hot and cold’ reads better than ‘cold and hot’ Edit – I’m talking rubbish, the wordplay is fine!
26 SCREED – S,CREED
27 SHREDDER – R in SHED,DER

1 CALF LOVE – (F[-i]VE LOCAL)* – The same as puppy love, though I’d never come across this before
2 STING – T in SING – He of The Police, who’ll have made another few quid from ‘Every Breath You Take’ in the time it’s taken you to read this sentence
3 LIGHTFOOT – Gordon Lightfoot is a bit before my time I’m afraid, but I had heard of him somewhere before
4 ASCENSIONTIDE – (ONCE SAINT DIES)* – Had never heard of this before. It’s the period from Ascension Day to Whitsunday.
7 DEADLY SIN – (LADY DINES)* – Another great anagram clue
8 SATRAP – SAT,RAP – This was my last answer, and I got lucky with a guess for the RAP part
11 MAN OF THE MATCH – A nice wedding/sport double definition
13 COSTUMIER – (TOM CRUISE)* – And yet another belter of an anagram
16 LAFAYETTE – LA + YET in FATE
19 SHARPS – S,HARPS
21 ISSUE – Alternate letters in kIdS aSsUmE – Nice use of the kids idea here, given that ISSUE can means the same thing
23 AWARD – A,DRAW rev.

5 Responses to “Independent 6,756 – Dac”

1. Richard Palmer says:

25 ac has cold and hot in the right order in my paper (and online). I don’t see any problem with this.

Very nice puzzle, especially the brilliant anagrams at 4d and 13d.

2. Ali says:

Oops, sorry, they are the right way round. No idea why I thought otherwise. Post duly edited!

Cheers

3. Paul B says:

I’ve seen HOU indicated by ’45 minutes’ elsewhere – in The Times puzzle I think. I like this a lot (esp in disposing of such as GUANGZHOU), but I was surprised to learn it falls, or at least at that time fell, within their boundaries of fairness.

4. Colin Blackburn says:

I too found this puzzle an enjoyable breeze. I got SATRAP early, one of those Listener words! However, reading the explanation for 19d I was a little confused as I don’t remember writing in SHARPS. I just checked the paper and I have CHORDS which is, as far as I can tell, reasonably justifiable, though perhaps less fair.

CHORD+S

CHORD = notes

CHORDS = strings of musical instruments (a separate headword in Chambers).

5. Testy says:

I have to admit that I put in CHORDS too but I wasn’t fully happy with it and wondered if I was missing some homophone indicator for “cords”. Pressing Reveal showed me the error of my ways though.