Guardian 24,414 – Pasquale

dd = double definition
cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
* = anagram

What a lovely day this has been. Yesterday’s offering by Virgilius was such a delight and then Pasquale gave us one of his best efforts; especially his very creative definitions.

1 DOVER CASTLE Ins of OVERCAST (dull as in weather) in D-LE *(led)
9 MINGLED Punny clue alluding to Sir Walter Menzies Campbell, commonly known as Ming Campbell, who was a former leader of the Liberal Democrats
10 TRADE ON Homophone of tray don- Chambers: to count on or take advantage of, esp unscrupulously.

11 OVERTRAIN Cha of OVERT (public) RAIN (wet weather)

12 KEYED What a devious definition Pasquale came up with… fastened with a piece of metal.I had to look up a new word ked, a wingless fly that infests sheep to get insertion of YE in KED
13 HOBO H(ob)O
14 STRONGROOM Ins of Ron (man) in ST (street) & GROOM (put in order)
16 FER-DE-LANCE A new word for me *(freed) + ins of C in LANE
19 BAAL Definitely not a banal clue
21 CANID Deletion of D (daughter) from CANDID (frank)
22 OPODELDOC Another new word being cha of OP (bit of surgery) ODEL *(olde) DOC (medico)
24 DROPOUT dd Chambers: a drop kick taken following the defender’s touchdown; a person who has withdrawn from an academic course
25 EYESHOT If we can hear within earshot, we should be able to see within eyeshot
26 MOLESTATION Another superb punny and funny clue parading mole (spy) station (HQ)

1 DANIEL BARENBOIM My favourite clue of the day. A &lit anagram clue of *(admirable one in b). I was rolling on the floor when I saw a symphony orchestra conductor being described as “in front of band, waving about”
2 VALET Vale + T (psychiatrisT ultimately)
3 RADIANT Ins of AD in RIANT (laughing)
4 ANTONIO Cha of ANT (worker) ONIO(n) He really got himself in trouble with Shylock
5 TRACKAGE Cha of T (time) RACK (joint) AGE (AD)
6 EVERY NOW AND THEN *(the navy renowned) What a smooth surface and probably true, too.
7 SMOOCH S (sun) MOOCH (to hang around)
8 ANADEM (m)AN ADEM *(made)
15 DEED POLL Another superb cryptic definition with handle (name) being so cleverly disguised
16 FACADE Ins of AC (current) in FADE
17 AGOUTIS A gout is – small S American rodents related to the guinea-pig
18 CHOLERA School minus so = CHOL + ERA (period)
20 LUCITE Homophone for loo site Lucite (registered trade mark) is a kind of solid, transparent plastic, often used instead of glass.
23 ELEMI *(melamine minus man)

13 Responses to “Guardian 24,414 – Pasquale”

Pasquale: nice to see ‘OPODOLDEC’ [sic], heralded on 28th May!

Great puzzle – loved 9ac, 26ac, 1dn and 6dn especially.

2. radchenko says:

Very hard, and in the end defeated by the subtlety of the definition in 12ac, also meaning I could not get 5dn.
    Still lots of very good clues (26ac in particular)

The odd thing is, when I googled in desperation “fastened with a piece of metal”, this was the page it turned up. Dem little bots is jolly quick, if you ask me.

Anyway, clue of the week, still 16dn in 24,412. Arf.

3. Val says:

Could someone explain the def in 8d? The only meaning for ANADEM I can find is as a head garland.

Val. a fillet is also a headband.

5. Fletch says:

Eileen (re. your first post), yes I’d forgotten about that so I laughed when it turned up!

Fletch: I’d ‘forgotten’, too, as instructed. But it’s amazing what’s retained in the ‘back of the mind’, as Bamber Gascoigne used to say. Nice to know it rang a bell with someone else!

7. Paul B says:

Very, very tough words for a daily.

FER-DE-LANCE, CANID, OPODELDOC, TRACKAGE, ANADEM, LUCITE, ELEMI are all somewhat recondite. As for RIANT, come off it. And with some of the above featuring anagrammed parts (for me unforgiveable in a difficult word), I reckon you were lucky to finish it without solving aids.

About the easiest for me was MOLESTATION, which I’ve seen clued this way more than once in The G.

8. awf says:

Agreed — many of the above (certainly KED, OPODELDOC, ANADEM, TRACKAGE, RIANT) not in concise oxford, not in online Chambers, don’t have paper Chambers with me.

Given that even weekend puzzles say when words are not in Chambers, these were simply too hard for a weekday. Surely a daily should be doable on the train, i.e. without dictionary?

9. Tom Hutton says:

I tend to agree with Paul B. Very nice clues but it would have been hard for me to do with confidence without recourse to reference materials. I have never met OPODELDOC before.

10. Pasquale says:

Thanks for all the feedback. I came across OPODELDOC in Tom Brown’s Schooldays and couldn’t resist it — and it is in Chambers. Just as some setters like to explore the boundaries of grammar in The Guardian, I (from time to time but not necessarily in every puzzle) like to explore the boundaries of (polite) vocabulary. There are still some solvers around who like to discover new-but-not-too-obscure words through crosswords, but I accept that not every puzzle in a publication as liberal and diverse as The Guardian is going to be everybody’s cup of tea!

11. Paul B says:

Quite right Don, and I’m sure you’ve always been just as charitable about the work of other setters in this regard – especially where the puzzles are themed, Nina’d et cetera.

12. AMB says:

My first forays into this website. I’ve enjoyed reading through the posts and I don’t think I’ve ever bookmarked a page quite so quickly! My thanks to colleague Brian for alerting me.

Though new here, I have been solving for much longer than I care to admit. I must say even this old campaigner was surprised at Friday’s Guardian puzzle, littered as it was with hard clues for hard words. I’ve only been able to understand some of them properly after visiting here.

The other two major dailies offer my puzzles of choice, I ought to say, and I also admit I find the Guardian these days very inconsistent. But you expect a reason for this level of difficulty, such as a ‘Nina’ or theme of some sort as mentioned passim, and so it was odd to find this one devoid.

Repelled also by the Indy on this very rare occasion, I ended up back with my old friend The Times, reliable as ever. I panicked slightly at MANES and SAMITE, as you can guess, but generally it was a much more comfortable, and shorter, journey.

13. Pasquale says:

Glad you found at least one of my puzzles OK on that day then!