Financial Times 12796 / Quark

Posted by C G Rishikesh on June 17th, 2008

C G Rishikesh.

The puzzle was uploaded later than usual and just about that time there was power failure in my flat. Hence the delay in posting the blog.

29dn gave a quick foothold onto the grid. I have not solved three clues as yet. Anyone may post the answers (all of them are short and in top left corner). I have not been able to explain the answer for 18dn fully.

1 WINDOW DRESSING – Cryptic def.

10 Not solved

11 RETENTIVE – charade with a deletion – R.E., tent(-at)tive

13 EULOGIA – anag. of ‘agile O U’

14 Not solved

16 ROWAN TREE – anag. of ‘roar E went’

19 RACKETEER – Cryptic def.

20 SHIFT – Two def.

25 MACHETE – I worked out the wordplay only now – container/contained with an anagram – ‘het ‘(anag. of ‘the’) in ‘mace’ ([a]club)

27 REMBRANDT – Rem(brand)t* – ‘brand’ in ‘remt’ (anag. of ‘term’, ‘school’ being the anagrind.)

28 INVOICE – Two def.? One is complete def and another is def. by ellipsis (‘invoice’ being ‘account’)

2 ISOMETRIC – anag. with a deletion – anag. of ‘I’m costier’ after deleting l (line) from ‘I’m costlier’

4 WORK FORCE – charade work (fix), force (drive, v.)

5 RETIE – charade with tail off – re, tie(-r)

6 SUNBLINDS – Two def? One straight, another interpretation of the answer word after dividing it as ‘sun blinds’

7 ICING – I don’t see why baker’s should be italicised.

8 GRENADE – anag. of ‘E garden’

9 Not solved

15 STEAM IRON – no charade but an anag. of ‘master on I’ (one)

17 WORKMATES – Non-cryptic def. – 4 here is the answer to Clue 4D

18 RHINE WINE – got from crossings and the word ‘tipple’ – The ‘poet’ part eludes me.

19 ROSTRUM – charade with an anagram – rost (anag. of ‘sort’), rum

21 TEETER – anag. with a deletion – anag. of ‘t(-h)e tree’

24 RANCH – deletion – (-b)ranch

26 COVER – two def.

7 Responses to “Financial Times 12796 / Quark”

1. C G Rishikesh says:

If my memory serves me right, I read somewhere recently that ‘icing’ also means ‘bald head’. Is there any glance at this meaning in Clue 7dn?

19dn: could it be that Rhine rhymes with wine?

Sorry – meant 18dn!

4. Magpie says:

Hi Rishi
    Your missing answers are: 10ac CROWN (go on river = row inside c & n – cape north head(s)); 14ac LORDS (another nice cricketing reference); 9dn SCROLL (double definition).
    I wasn’t sure about 7dn either, although the answer fell in place easily enough. Can find no reference to baldness in my Collins & OED! Perhaps its just that icing is found on top of a cake and (in meteorological terms) on the ground (i.e. bottom).

5. Bradman says:

There is a short note about the late Eric Burge (Quark) by the printed crossword. A few more puzzles remain in the pipeline.

6. John says:

7D ICING is seen on the top side of a cake in the baker’s, but not on topside in the butcher’s.

12A appears to be ONESELF, but why ‘fit as normal’?

7. C G Rishikesh says:

‘To be oneself’ is ‘to be in one’s normal condition of mind and body (after an illness, emotional stress, etc.)’ Or perhaps to feel comfortable without having to put on an affected pose. The not-so-cryptic clue seems to glance at the idiomatic expression.

As for the word “baker’s” in italics in the other clue, the point I was trying to make was that the emphasis was not really necessary. It can be solved even without the word in italics.