Independent 6761 by Morph

Posted by nmsindy on June 17th, 2008

nmsindy.

A pleasing, innovative, puzzle which I found on the easy side.   Solving time, 18 mins.

* = anagram  < = reversed

ACROSS

1 GUARDIAN   (A = American in a drug)*

5 P (EOPL) E   (pole)* in PE

10 ZIP-UP    Double definition, though the meanings are a bit similar

11 TURBO (t) PROP    A type of plane

12 T (RY) ON    Pun on ‘gear’  Ton = 100 mph   ry = railway i.e. track

13 bREakers SURF ACE

14 (v)ERSE    Old name for Irish (language)

16 IN THE PRESS   e (earl) in (she prints)*

1 GAZETTE    a small gaze punningly

2  A MP L(ad)Y

3 DOPING   Cryptic definition

4 ALTER  “Altar”

6 E GO T  RIPS

7 PARRAKEET   (take rap re)*

8 EX PRESS    express = say (to speak)

9 G R O SCH EN    Former money in Austria

15 SEPHAR DIC   (phrase)*  in Roman numbers   DIC = 599 (end of sixth century – well very near it anyway – I won’t start the millennium argument again)

17 NEONATES   (sane note)*   pun on ‘labour’

18 F (RE-SH) AIR      Shut up again = re-sh!

19 PIONEER   Hidden

21 COUR(t)IER

22 SHALOM   if you changed h (hard) to l (left) you’d get slalom

24 ESSE X

26 INCAN    film finished = in can    I’d some initial doubt about the part of speech here, but I think it’s OK,

7 Responses to “Independent 6761 by Morph”

1. Richard says:

A nice puzzle, with subtle references to the press both explicit and implicit (the answers around the grid). Does this qualify as a nina (not sure, because I often miss them)?

2. Colin Blackburn says:

It’s definitely Nina. All the outside lights are common newspaper names with PAPER ROUND and IN THE PRESS leading to them. I’m only sorry that Mick left out my favourite, COURANT (Hexham Courant, and no doubt others.)

Excellent puzzle with some superb clues.

3d is a superb &lit. PIN in DOG with ‘say’ working perfectly in both surface readings. Much better than a CD!

3. Ali says:

Liked this one a lot. 5A, 13A and 26D are cracking clues. I’ve never come across SEPHARDIC, ENDPAPERS and GROSCHEN though, so can’t claim to have finished it entirely unaided.

I also completely missed the Nina and the fact that 3D is (a rather excellent) &lit.

4. Testy says:

I really liked this too. A couple of small quibbles though:

22D Although “hard” and “left” get mentioned I can’t see anything to indicate that you are supposed to exchange the L and H.

17D Wasn’t sure if “establishing” was justified/necessary

15D 599 arguably ought to be DXCIX

5. Colin Blackburn says:

I think in 22d the crucial word is ‘with’, so in ‘Peace with hard left…’ there is an implied ‘as’ between ‘hard’ and ‘left’ that I have come across in normal speech.

nmsindy hinted at the arguableness of DIC by choosing to avoid the debate! The form you give is only deemed ‘proper’ because of mathematicians and historians who came after the Roman era codified the system. There are plenty of examples ancient and modern of the rules being broken.

6. nmsindy says:

Actually my point was slightly different – it’s that the last year of the 6th century is 600, not 599. The millennium comment related to whether it should have been celebrated on 1 Jan 2000 or 1 Jan 2001. We all know who won that argument. I agree with Colin on hard left and in 17 dn I think ‘establishing’ is just a link.

I had noticed some newspaper references but missed that they went all around the grid in a Nina. And, yes, 3d as explained is tip-top.

7. Richard Heald says:

A very fine puzzle, nicely maintaining the Tuesday Nina tradition in Virgilius’ absence. With so much thematic material in the grid (including ENDPAPERS), I can’t believe I didn’t spot what was going on until about three-quarters of the way through.

Agree entirely with the praise for the RESURFACE and DOPING clues, but also share Nmsindy’s doubt about the part of speech used in the wordplay part of INCAN – “South American film finished thus?” would have been a slight improvement, I think.