Independent 6,763/Mordred

Posted by Ali on June 19th, 2008

Ali.

I found this tough going for a mid-week puzzle. I’ve never come across a few of the answers before and some clues are still a bit baffling.

8 ZULU – As in the phonetic alaphabet X-Ray, Yankee, Zulu
9 INTERFERON – INTER,FE,RON – A nice clue, though ‘footballers’ for INTER is fairly vague, especially when the word itself isn’t exactly commonplace
10 ?P?O?E – Not sure on this one. Clue is “End of allegiance after mates do this?”. Am guessing it’s &lit, but that’s about as far as I’ve got!
11 ACCURSED - R in ACCUSED – Again, not a hugely common word
12 NEPALESE – PALES in NEE
14 LENGTH – L is the third letter of ZULU in 8A (and short for LENGTH)
16 ISLE – [-a]ISLE
17 SHEAR – A in (Sir Antony) SHER. Had never heard of him!
19 DRIVEL – Driver, with R swapped for L
21 TEA TOWEL – Nice defnition here (‘Drink dry’)
22 ECLECTIC – C in ELECT,IC – Not very often you see this word used as a noun
26 CRESOL – (CLOSER)* – Another fairly obscure word
28 TINY - TI[-n]NY

1 SUPPRESSOR – SUP,PRESS,OR
2 AUTOMATE - AUTO,MATE
3 MISERE – MISER,E – An easy word no doubt if you play cards, but it took me a while to spot it
4 STOA – Not sure on this one. STOA is a covered collonade, but can’t work out the wordplay
5 ORACULAR – RA in OCULAR – Again, hardly a word I use every day
6 NEURON – (O’ER NUN)*
15 TORPEDOING – (POINTER DOG)* – Good clue, though quite tricky to work out the anagram
17 SPLIT PEA – SP (starting price),LIT,PE,A
18 AMORETTO – MORE in [-t]ATTO[-o]
19 VIEWER – VIEW,RE rev.
22 ALCOTT – C in (TOTAL)* – Louisa May
24 CARR – CARR[-ot] – A new word for me
25 CRAM – Double definition of “The Jarrow Arrow”

14 Responses to “Independent 6,763/Mordred”

1. rayfolwell says:

10A is OPPOS(mates)+E

4D is TO in SA

I had to look at 7D on the web. I’ve never seen A-ONE written out and I can’t work out the word play.

2. nmsindy says:

OPPOS E and S(TO)A, I think. Some very inventive clueing – hard, but I was helped by the dedication such as often appears in Mordred puzzles.

3. nmsindy says:

ANYONE less NY, I think

4. Fletch says:

7d I think is A(ny)one, i.e. without New York.

Doesn’t 16a break the cardinal rule regarding capitalisation?

5. nmsindy says:

I think inch is a general name for an island so I’d say 16ac is OK if that’s the point being made.

6. Fletch says:

Thanks NMS, I should’ve checked. Mordred’s been around too long to be breaking rules!

7. Duggie says:

Who are Samson and Dolly, and why did they choose Oz to get hitched?

8. Fletch says:

Or Holly even!

9. Mick h says:

It looks like another personal message in the grid. I don’t think I would have spotted it, but 7 down looked so odd (_O_E generates an awful lot of other possibilities) that I figured there must be a Nina – which then helped with that and the other remaining clues. Whoever they are, their union is truly blessed now!

10. Duggie says:

Sorry, yes, Holly. When I do the puzzle on the web (saves me a trip to the newsagent) it’s easy to forget what I’ve just seen – or am I stupid? Is there a way of keeping both 15squared and the puzzle pages up at the same time?

11. nmsindy says:

Last Friday (13th) someone commenting on my Nimrod blog explained how it could be printed out.

12. Derrick Knight says:

Samson is my eldest son. Holly is Australian. I had to overcome my fear of flying to get there so I was determined to celebrate in print. Thanks for all the comments. Mordred

13. Derrick Knight says:

Dammit! I shouldn’t put comments on so late. Sam is my youngest son. Mordred

14. paul b says:

It’s a hell of a long row otherwise, mate.