Guardian 24,424 – Audreus

dd = double definition
cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
* = anagram

Lovely puzzle that has some misleading definitions and a couple of quite elaborate devices. Pity there were two printing errors which were crucial to the wordplay of the clues affected.

1 HUMPBACK BRIDGE Cha of hump (despondency) back (behind) bridge (game). I love the definition “one comes across”
8 PANDA homophone for pander (to indulge)
9 ELEVATED Ins of E (drug) V (versus or against) in ELATED (delighted)
11 CRACKLE Ins of R (river) in CACKLE (laughter)
12 PITPROP Ins of IT PRO (old stager) in PP (very quiet)
13 OSSIA Rev ha or (giving an alternative in music)
15 THROTTLER The tailless = TH and dog in question is a rottweiler.
“wei-rdo” half ignored is “rottler” giving THROTTLER, a strangler
17 DIDELPHYS Serendipity is the faculty of making fortunate or beneficial discoveries by accident and this happened to me today.
I looked up Chambers for opossum and “any member of the American genus Didelphys” popped out and it does sound quite like “did Elvis” after you have had about five bottles of 8% Guinness Stout
20 ABASH Ins of BA in ASH
21 INCISOR *(is coin) R (right)
23 SHARPEN Ins of ARP in S (singular) HEN (female). Jean Arp (1886-1966) was a German-born French Dadaist/Surrealist painter
25 SILENCER Ins of Len (man) in ICE (frost-bound) and the whole thing
I-LEN-CE inserted in SR (outskirt of Stranraer)
26 SAUDI Ins of U (classy) in SAD I (woeful one)
27 UNCLE TOM’S CABIN Uncle (relation) TO M/S (manuscript or writing)
Cabin (little house)

1 HYPOCHONDRIA *(H poncy hairdo) It is my contention that the net version of this clue has a typo and poncey should be poncy
2 MANNA Ins of Ann in MA – the food miraculously provided for the Israelites in the wilderness according to the Old Testament
3 BLACKMAIL Cha of Black (thunderous looking) MAIL (rev of LIAM, Irishman). The threat of a soaking is a most cryptic definition
4 CLEMENT Remember the miner’s daughter, Clementine?
5 BLEEPER Cha of B (by originally) (s)LEEPER(s)
6 INAPT Ins of NP (game) in IT
7 GUERRILLA Cha of GU (gun point missed; superb!) + ins of RILL in ERA
10 APPREHENSION dd
14 SEDUCTION Ins of DUCT in SE-ION *(noise)
16 THALASSIC Ins of A LASS (a girl) in THIC (k)
18 HARICOT *(chairto) haricot bean – the kidney bean or French bean (plant or seed); a kind of ragout or stew of mutton and beans or other vegetables
19 SISTRUM Rev of IS -> SI ST (street or way) RUM drink)
22 SWELL dd
24 PLUMB P (quietly) LUM (chimney) B (top boss)

10 Responses to “Guardian 24,424 – Audreus”

1. Peter Chambers says:

The paper version has the errors to. Added to the fun!

2. jimbod says:

This was a real Grauniad cock-up. Audreus is usually one I can complete. Boo!

3. conradcork says:

Having an Audreus usually means her son is on next day. Stand by.

4. Andrew says:

Apparently DIDELPHYS and DIDELPHIS are alternative spellings of the genus of opossums, and either is possible from the grid. I’m not impressed by the “homophone” here – as well as the F/V distinction, the first syllable has a long I (as in most words where, as here, the di- prefix means “two” or “double”).

5. Gary Howe says:

“wei-rdo” half ignored is “rottler” giving THROTTLER, a strangler
    It is therefore my contention that the net version of this clue has a missing “The” in front”

The clue for Throttler is correct (I think)

it actually says ‘WITH weirdo half ignored’. So you also half the word ‘with’ giving ‘th’ at the start.

if you see what I mean

6. ACP says:

Then what does ‘tailless’ do ?
    I don’t think that’ll be it.

7. Gary Howe says:

a rottweiller is a tailless dog

the clue is correct (in it’s own slightly insane way)

8. Uncle Yap says:

Is there such a biological thing as a tailless dog? Then why would people want to dock a rottweiler? (Google this and you will know what I mean)

I pondered long and hard on this clue (you have to when you are prepared to declare someone has made a mistake albeit typo)

Assuming no typo:
    Tailless dog with weirdo half ignored by strangler (9)
    ROTTWEILER TH -WEI will give ROTTLERTH
    How does TH come to the front?

My suggestion
    The tailless dog with weirdo half ignored by strangler (9)
    on the other hand, would parse perfectly

TH + ROTTWEILER minus WEI

Even if there were no typo, I believe my version improves the clue to Ximenean exactitude

9. Gary Howe says:

“Assuming no typo:
    Tailless dog with weirdo half ignored by strangler (9)
    ROTTWEILER TH -WEI will give ROTTLERTH
    How does TH come to the front?”

TH comes to the front because WITH comes before WEIRDO in the clue

I agree it’s not exactly elegant but the clue is still technically correct. Even if your version improves it (which it probably does) the clue is correct on its own merits

Compared to many Guardian clues this one makes sense compared to some of the crazy ‘logic’ of some setters and their completely unfair setting of the order of words or parts of words

10. ACP says:

But ‘with’ is clearly after ‘tailless dog’, then ‘wei’ is subtracted from whatever comes before. Regardless of other Guardian clues, this one doesn’t work, as is.

Is a rottweiler tailless ? The ones I’ve seen have a short tail.