Independent 6,768/Dac

Posted by Ali on June 25th, 2008

Ali.

Definitely harder than the average Dac I thought, with some lesser known words here and there. Good clues as ever though.

1 SCANDALISE – SCAN,DALIS,E[-xhibition]
7 CAWS – “Cause” – Caws being the sound crows make
10 CASHMERE – (Pat) CASH,ME,RE – Very good clue. ‘and writer have on’ for ME,RE is very neat
11 OTTOMAN EMPIRE
12 SAGA – Regular instalments from ShAnGhAi
13 THEOLOGIST – I in LOGS, all in THE,OT – Nice &lit, though is ‘looking into’ a valid container indicator?
15 PERFORMERS – REP rev.,FORMER,S[-tagers]
19 CONFRATERNITY – (FRIARY CONTENT)*
21 ZARAGOZA – ZARA (Phillips) + Z in GOA – Not an easy clue to work out, but very good nonetheless
22 ISATIN – I,SAT,IN – A new one on me. It’s a substance obtained by oxidizing indigo (C8H5O2N to his friends)
23 ERST – ER (i.e. Her Maj, the princiapl character in Coronation!),ST
24 ANTECHAPEL – (PLACE [-he]ATHEN)*

2 CHOCOLATE ECLAIR – (CREATE ALCOHOLIC)* – Nice anagram
3 NOTITIA – No,TITIA[-n] – Never come across this word before
4 ALMA MATER – MA x 2 in ALTER
6 EPSOM – Hidden in keEP SOMe
7 COMBING – B (source of Bible) in COMING
6 WORKERS PLAYTIME – (LO STRIKE-WEARY PM)* – Took a while to get this anagram. Not sure if it’s referencing the magazine, the radio show or the Billy Bragg album!
14 LASERDISC - D in (CLASSIER)* – This also took a while as I fell into the trap of assuming the wordplay led to D in a word ending -IER
16 FONDANT – FOND,ANT
18 SPIRAEA – EAR,I rev. in SPA – Had to use the reveal button to confirm this one. Plants are not my strong point!
20 RHODA – H in ROD,A

10 Responses to “Independent 6,768/Dac”

1. conradcork says:

Given Dac’s age (he is or will be 60 this year) I expect Workers’ Playtime is the radio show. Perhaps he will tell us.

It means nothing and there is no connection but the name of the show’s producer was Bill Gates. (We discuss stuff like this at my local Get a Life Club).

2. Al Streatfield says:

Great clues, but I think SPIRAEA, which I got unaided eventually, was an obscure word too far, particularly as it’s a pretty difficult clue.

3. conradcork says:

Al: re spiraea it’s horses for courses I guess. I’ve got great gaping holes in my knowledge of all sorts of things, but in many decades I’ve never had a garden without the spiraea called Bridal Wreath.

4. Duggie says:

Conradcork: at my age (greater than Dac’s), I’m delighted to see there are others who remember the Home Service’s lunchtime variety show. I think it alternated on Fridays with Have a Go, with Wilfred (Wilfrid?) & Mabel Pickles as hosts. Those were the days etc etc.
    Al S: the US’s much more sensible spelling Spirea appeared in an April puzzle
    All Dac’s clues are so neat, and they all MEAN something, which is so important, don’t you think?

5. NealH says:

I guessed 14d was an anagram, but the phrasing of the clue convinced me it was an adjective. Since sorts is presumably the anagram indicator, the definition would have to be “of recording”, which implies an adjective rather than a noun.

6. timbo says:

re 13d. Chambers online gives no results for “theologist” – and I always thought the correct term was theologian? No doubt I’m out of date …

7. Richard Heald says:

“Theologist” is in Chambers as a variant of theologian, but it’s labelled “(rare)”.

I agree this was a great puzzle with no fewer than three first-rate religion-themed & lits – but also agree with NealH that there’s no justification for the “of” in the LASERDISC clue.

8. revver says:

I took “sort of” to be the anagram indicator.

9. Paul B says:

But both are in Collins Lite: ‘theologist’ is the noun listed under ‘theology’, while ‘theologian’ is treated to its very own entry.

10. Paul B says:

For LASERDISC the sense of ‘sort of’ might be ‘in a way’. Both are in Ruth Crisp’s famous anagrinds list.