Guardian 24,431/Chifonie

Posted by Andrew on July 3rd, 2008

Andrew.

Today it was the bottom right-hand corner that gave me the most trouble, but apart from that I found this one mostly quite easy. A couple of explanations I’m not totally happy with – confirmation or alternatives welcome!

dd = double definition
* = anagram
< = reverse

1 ISOLATE I SO LATE
9 PIPIT PI in PIT Not sure if I’ve got this right – presumably it’s because pi is the ‘relationship’ between the circumference and diameter of a circle. Any better ideas?
10 GANGPLANK GANG P LANK
11 SIAMESE CAT (MEET CASSIE)*
14 HISTRIONICS (INSIST CHOIR)*
18 BITTER LEMON (BOTTLE MINER)*
21 TAIL T + AIL ‘Pain’ is a verb in the wordplay
22 ESPADRILLE E + RILL in SPADE Using the crosswordism of Rill = stream = thing with banks = banker
25 ISINGLASS I SING LASS
26 ARROW AR ROW A quarrel is an arrow used in a crossbow
27 GIMMICK I in GM + MICK
28 TEST ACT SET< + TACT The Test Acts of 1673 and 1678 were ‘for preventing dangers which may happen from popish recusants’.
1 IMPOSE IMP + (h)OSE
2 ORPHAN PH in ORAN A port in Algeria
3 AT THE WHEEL A TT HEW HEEL
4 EAGLE BEAGLE minus its “head” In golf, an Eagle is one better than a Birdie, i.e. 2 under par
5 PENTAGRAM TAG in PEN RAM Again, we need to read “crowd” as a verb to interpret it as RAM.
7 SPARE RIB S PARER I B(ought)
13 CORNERWAYS CORNER WAYS I presume the word means “diagonally” – if so, it’s a new one on me.
15 SALES TALK ALES in STALK
17 STOICISM IS in SITCOM*
19 GLORIA dd It took me ages to realise the explanation of this: the Gloria is part of the “Ordinary” of the Catholic Mass
20 PEEWIT WEEP< + IT Almost opposite its fellow bird PIPIT in the grid

17 Responses to “Guardian 24,431/Chifonie”

I got completely hung up on that corner,too: I could only think of ‘cornerwise’, which didn’t fit with Test Act, which was obviously right, and didn’t manage to think laterally enough to get ‘arrow’. [I couldn't find 'cornerways' in any of my dictionaries but did finally find it online.]

9ac: I had PIPIT, too, for the same reason. I remember seeing pi as a relationship before.

2. Octofem says:

‘GLORIA’ had me stumped – thanks for explanation. Had ‘PENTAGRAM’, but couldn’t see the ‘crowd’.

3. Octofem says:

P.S. (!) Could 15d not be SALES TACK – so that we have ‘stack’ for straw? Either version seems possible.

4. Barbara says:

As a result of the formatting style by Andrew, the blogger, the text gets cut off on the right side.
    I don’t know if this is peculiar to my computer, or if it holds true for everybody.

5. Mart says:

A banker being a ‘rill’ is a bit mean. I’ll commit that one to memory then, in case it comes up again.
    I’m well and truly stuck on 12a. Can only think it’s ‘mein’, but can only think of chinese food or Mein Kampf as a meaning! Help?

6. Mart says:

Ah, I may have it. Is it ‘a’ (for one) in men, so ‘mean’ means close?

7. Rich says:

Mart, how about mean for 12a

8. Andrew says:

Barbara, sorry about the formatting problems – it seems OK to me in both Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox: what operating system and browser are you using? (The two grey bars at the side – which bloggers have no control over – have a fixed width, so take up a disproportionate amount of space if the browser window is quite narrow.)

9. Andrew says:

Mart, in case you haven’t already realised, the convention is that we always omit a few clues from the daily puzzles, so as not to deprive the papers of income from the premimum rate helplines (has anyone here ever used one of them?). However, as others have already said, 12ac is indeed MEAN = stingy = close, wordplay A in MEN.

10. beermagnet says:

Yes Mart, Mean=Close in the sense that if you are very close with your money then you are mean with it (or, as my apparently walletless accountant brother would have it – you’re “careful” with it).

11. Mart says:

Thanks folks.

12. Tom Hutton says:

I think crook for corner is a bit too far. I never hid in a crook or found the crooking on my car sublime at speed…but it was probably because it meant I didn’t get the final clue which is always annoying.

13. smutchin says:

Tom, a crook can be a bend or turn in a road according to my dictionary, so I think that’s fair enough.

Mart, banker=rill/stream/river is classic crosswordese – mean to a novice, perhaps, but you’ll soon get used to such devices – to the point where you groan when you see them. “Flower” (as in something that flows) is another common euphemism for river.

d.

14. Garry says:

Two days on the run it was the NW corner that held me up. Finished 11pm last night. Had the ‘ose for ‘obgoblin’s stockings early on but just couldn’t get the rest for ages.

15. Kate Wild says:

Probably won’t get a reply to this, because it’s a day too late, but I only got round to finishing the crossword today, and I didn’t buy the paper, so can’t check the answers. What was 5ac? I know it’s something blindingly obvious, but all I can see is parasol and that doesn’t make any sense. Here’s hoping someone sees this. btw, I love this site, and the comments.

16. Abu Bilal says:

are you still taking comments?
    i was going great guns until about halfway through, especially with all those nice anagrams but then got very stuck. things like 26A, 28A and 20D very obscure but i also missed some blindingly obvious ones. thanks for the explanations. 5a is PERU’S A L = examination. Bug can someone explain 16D?

17. Rob Roy says:

16D
    Facilitation = abetting; A BETTING (price) as in “the betting for a horse in a race is the price for that horse”.