Independent 6775/Nimrod

Posted by neildubya on July 3rd, 2008

neildubya.

A bit of a mixed bag this: very tough in places, very easy elsewhere. Still don’t understand 10, 11 and 19 though.

1 ERA,SPOT< in TRICES – TRICERATOPSES. I found this very tough and only got it once I had all the checking letters in place.
10 EN,GROSS – don’t really understand this one. The definition seems to be “Largely copy” (assuming “French in” is EN and “bulk” is GROSS) but that doesn’t mean ENGROSS does it?
11 ALL-TIME – don’t understand this one either: “To date compiler, in advance it will win one over”.
14 (ID EXTRACT)* – DIRECT TAX.
16 ROTTER,DAM
22 CHANCRE -“chancer” with the last two letters swapped.
23 ARBUTUS – an identical piece of wordplay to 22 is used here: A,BRUTUS with the BR swapped.
24 ON,SENSE in (NERVES)* – NONSENSE VERSE. Lear being Edward rather than the King.

2 RE,GENTS
4 (SCREEN DID)* – RESCINDED. “Off” is the blink-and-you’ll-miss-it anagrind.
5 hidden in “FurTWANGler”
6 ABL[-e] in (COP SELECTION)* – POLICE CONSTABLE.
7 ED,I,TOUT
8 (FREE IF CLASSIC)* – SELF-SACRIFICE.
9 (IT GOES FOR LEX L)* – REFLEXOLOGIST
15 R.E.M,I,GRATE
19 SHIITES – don’t understand this one: “Chap’s position affected when Nazis circle sect members”. The last two words must be the definition but that’s all I can work out.
21 LIE-IN – this one puzzled me too but looking at it now I can see that LIE appears IN “client”, “suppliers” and “believe”.

9 Responses to “Independent 6775/Nimrod”

10ac: I didn’t know this before but I find [Collins]; ‘engross': ‘to write or copy [manuscript] in large legible handwriting’.

11ac: this is pretty tortuous but could it be ME[compiler] then ‘in advance’ IT’LL [rev.] ‘over’ win [gain] A??

2. conradcork says:

19. Chap’s position is his site. Move the nazis (SS) to the outside and you get shiites.

3. conradcork says:

11. The ‘a’ at the front is ‘advance’.

11. I meant ‘A’ to be ‘one’.

5. Mick h says:

Thanks for the explanations – I didn’t get the wordplay for SHIITES or the definition of ENGROSS.
    Good puzzle, liked 2d REGENTS and 13a AISLE.
    One quibble – I felt slightly uncomfortable ignoring the umlaut in Furtwängler. I know we ignore them in grid words, because they’re all in caps, but can ‘twang’ (as opposed to ‘twäng’) truly be said to be in Furtwängler?

6. Testy says:

Mixed bag indeed.

Re 13A how do you get the SLE is this an indirect anagram of LES? If so I’m not keen.

7. neildubya says:

13a – I think it’s A = best, ISLE (of Man).

8. nmsindy says:

13A I read as A (Best) ISLE (Man) without being 100% sure. Did like FINISHING SCHOOL

9. Testy says:

Ahh! That makes much more sense (I just kept thinking A1 for best!)