Independent 6784 by Eimi

Posted by NealH on July 14th, 2008

NealH.

*=anag, []=dropped, <=reversed

A Zimbabwe themed puzzle from Eimi, with the definition for Robert Mugabe (“one destroying his country”) only controversial if you’re one of Mugabe’s ruling circle. There was a fair amount of obscure stuff (snib, snoek and obeah were all new to me), but made a little easier if you spotted that the sides of the grid spelled Rhodesia and Zimbabwe respectively.

1, 27 Robert Mugabe: (embargo brute)*.
5 Biarritz: Bar around i + Ritz.
9 Heat: double def.
11 Oh dear: homophone of ode + ears.
12 In tandem: hidden in “prINT AND EMail”.
13 Decimals: Decals around I m.
15 Snib: bins<. I thought of this straightaway but didn’t think it was a word until I checked the dictionary.
17 Eons: snoe[k]<.
18 La coruna: Lacuna around OR.
20 Singsong: sing-sing with i replaced by o.
22 Confab: Con + fab.
24 Intangible: (begin latin)*.
25 Brew: [He]brew.
26 Alphonse: A lp hons e. Sited rather appositely next to Mugabe.
2 Obeah: OBE + a h.
3 Euthenics: EU + the + NICs (national insurance contributions).
4 Tutorial: tut + i in oral.
5 Bevvies: Bev + vies.
6 Agnate: Agate around n.
7 Reign: rein around g – an old favourite.
8 Tragedian: (at Reading)*.
14 Emotional: This was the only one I didn’t quite follow – “Excited as top record producer almost gets volume turned up”. Seems to have tome< as the volume turned up, but I don’t understand the top record producer bit.
15 String bag: (GB ratings)*.
16 Ice cream: (rice came)*.
18 Legible: cryptic def.
19, 10 Morgan Tsvangirai: (again mars voting r)* + &lit.
21 Gnash: G[raham] Nash.
23 Acerb: Ace (tennis serve) + r + b.

10 Responses to “Independent 6784 by Eimi”

1. Duggie says:

Didn’t notice the African Nina, oh dear. That may explain the obeah (Nigeria) and snoek (S Africa) but not your query re 14D. ‘No 1′ = top but the rest is silence. As I think he’s well up in the latest music fads, perhaps Eimi could explain? As my last entry I put ‘dingdong’ in first at 20A and the online version congratulated me!

2. Paul B says:

Enjoyed this topically themed and Nina’d puzz, which takes care of its (surprisingly few) tricky words with nice, easier clues.

I think 14dn might be L.A. NO (abbrev. number) I (one by the Roman numeral convention) plus TOME all upped.

3. Big Joe says:

I did like 15D – GB ratings at sea in carrier (6,3) – the double meaning of a something to carry stuff in and also the planes that served on Royal Navy carriers in WW2 – the Fairey Swordfish was also known as the Stringbag.

4. Colin Blackburn says:

Re 14d, Daniel Lanois is a “top” record producer.

5. Spade Cooley says:

Was convinced “top record producer” meant “eno”, and spent ages trying to work out how to get from that to “emotional”

6. Paul B says:

Arrr! Thanks Colin. Embarrassingly, I know that name reasonably well!

7. eimi says:

Daniel Lanois it was. I resisted Duggie’s request to elucidate because if no one gets it I’ve failed. Of course it was his work with Eno that brought Daniel Lanois into the limelight, so good call Mr Cooley. I’m not sure I would have considered it fair enough for a prize puzzle, but the checking letters made it quite solvable without understanding the reference. Again, I was lucky that the Indy chose to run an article that mentioned G Nash today. I didn’t mention N Young as it was unnecessary, but I saw Mr Shakey eight days ago and he was in very good form.

This was a bit of a rushed job. I know crosswords are unable to bring about regime change, but I wanted to add my small voice to the disapprobation of the brute. I can’t help thinking that the man whose voice would have made resonated loudest could have said more and said it sooner, so Mandela’s reputation is a little tarnished now, in my eyes anyway. And as for Mbeki …

8. eimi says:

Delete ‘made’ from the second paragraph, obviously.

9. Richard Palmer says:

I enjoyed this very much. The two topical clues were superb and the Nina must have made the right-hand half especially hard to construct. I’m surprised Eimi said it was done in a rush as there were no signs of that in the fnished article.

And I agree 100% with Eimi’s sentiments in the post above.

10. Paul B says:

Interesting policy too on AIDS/HIV from Mbeki, and his somewhat colourful Health Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang. Former deputy-president and current ANC president Jacob Zuma attracted controversy whilst on trial for the rape of an HIV+ woman, when he claimed that having a shower after sex had significantly diminished his chances of becoming infected.

A lot of wrongs to right in Africa after Colonialism, but to see the scientific discourse of HIV/AIDS as a tool for Western political, cultural or economic agendas to the exclusion of treatment and appropriate education for one’s own people (i.e. delaying the introduction of free anti-retroviral services) is probably stretching things a bit.