Guardian 24,443 – Brummie

cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

A most intriguing set of clues which I enjoyed tremendously for their challenge and their deviousness. Brummie never fails to entertain.

1 UNFOCUSED Ins of CUSE *(clues minus L) in *(found)
10 TONER Ins of One (somebody) in TR (transitive)
11 NEOPHOBIA cd for someone with a dread or hatred of novelty
12 RESOUND RE (note) sound (heard)
13 TRELLIS TR (odd letters of ToRn) ELLIS – Henry Havelock (1859 -1939) British sexologist
14 SAFETY BICYCLE Cha of SAFETY (protecxted status) Bi (sexually ambivalent) CYCLE (turn)
17 STRETCHER BOND Cha of stretcher (to carry an injured) Bond (007)
stretching-bond is a method of building with stretchers only, the joints of one course falling between those above and below (Chambers)
21 THIN AIR alopecia is hair loss or baldness. Thus a prelude is thin hair, which without the h, becomes thin air, which is not good for breathing
22 LACK ALL To ostracise is to “black ball”
24 IN KEEPING A licensee’s work is keeping an inn. Take away one n (lacks new) and ….
25,6 BELLYACHE Belly (pot) A (top grade) Che (f) cook minus F (forte)
26 RORT This was such an obvious ha but I had to consult Chambers and learned a new word which means a fraud or to defraud
27 NON-MEMBER I well remember the vetos by France’s Charles De Gaulle’s on Britain’s entry into the EU. Non (French for no) member (limb)

1 UPTHRUST Cha of UP (excited) ins of H (hearts) in TRUST (faith)
I wonder how Brummie would have clued this as Cyclops :-)
2 FUNDS Fun (leisure) DS (the old LDS system of pound shilling pence minus L (large)
3 CIRCUIT BREAKER *(criketer bra u i) Did you notice the other alter ego (the one with the eye in the forehead) trying to get into the act here? cricketer playing with bra !
4 SAND DAB Ins of N (new) DD (dates) in Saab, the Swedish maker of cars
5 DEONTIC Ins of *(no tie) in DC (District Commissioner, a colonial-day designation which has since been changed to District Officer) BTW deontology is the study of duty, ethics.
7 CABALLERO Cha of CABAL (plotters) *(role)  a Spanish gentleman;  esp in south-west US, a horseman.
8 ELAPSE Ins of LAPS (stages) in EE (points)
9 THREE-CORE CABLE *(echo cerebral et)
15 FOSSICKER FOE (enemies or foes minus E ) sicker (not so good). Another new word – fossick vi to search for gold, on the surface or in abandoned workings; to rummage.
16 C D PLAYER Corps Diplomatique (Diplomatic Corps) + Gary Player (classic South African golfer) I like the way Brummie disguised the definition “it makes tracks available to us” so this is my clue of the day
18 TORSION Ins of I in TORSO (trunk) + N (third letter of hand)
19 HALOGEN Halo (aura) Gen (general, officer)
20 ETRIER a small rope ladder of 1-4 rungs used as a climbing aid by mountaineers. Another new word for me
23 AD LIB A D (one day) LIB (rev of BIL (l))

12 Responses to “Guardian 24,443 – Brummie”

1. Harris says:

Re. 1d: Cyclops did “upthrust” just the other week, as it happens!

I seem to remember it was something along the lines of:

Part of the sexual act that moves the earth?

2. Duggie says:

I found this all quite tough, with several unknown words, especially 14 ac (in Chambers as “old”). Having never heard of a safety bicycle (is that an oxymoron?), I still can’t work out the long-winded definition. Does it do what it says on the tin? Should there not be at least a hint of ‘transport’ or ‘self-propulsion’? Or am I blind?

3. teesween says:

An enjoyable puzzle (despite some clues which, to me, didn’t quite work) and an education, with several words to add to my glossary.

4. Octofem says:

Hats off to Uncle Yap for finding all the new words. ‘LSD’ by the way, pounds, shillings and pence.

5. Paul B says:

And librae, solidi, denarii.

6. Ciaran McNulty says:

I think sportsman=PLAYER is a bit more straightforward than having to remember the golfer?

7. David says:

14a works for me, Duggie: An ordinary is a penny-farthing bicycle, so its ‘lowly’ successor is the definition.

8. muck says:

Thanks to Brummie for a tough but entertaining and educating puzzle. And to Uncle Yap for his usual excellent blog.

9. JimboNWUK says:

Not happy about the reference to “protected status”, in 14ac, SAFE = protected no status necessary leaving the TY unclued.

BTW hello uncle yap, do you still correspond with Bobvil and the rest of the mob? (rosie, dave t et al)

10. harry says:

duggie – 14 ac is a somewhat longwinded clue, but it goes like this – The safety bicycle is the original name for what we now recognise as the standard bicycle shape, so called because it was safer than the previous “ordinary” style, better known to us the penny farthing, hence the “safety” was more lowly than the “ordinary”.
    i still don’t like safety=protected though.

11. Duggie says:

Thanks David. Never knew that. Collins says it’s US usage; Chambers doesn’t qualify it. Apologies to Brummie for questioning his def.

12. Gail says:

I have to admit that whenever I see Brummie’s name at the foot of the grid, I groan out loud. I am not at all fond of this setter. I always get there in the end, but his clues seem long-winded and lack elegance. Just my humble opinion, but I never find myself aghast with awe at his cleverness. I find him more irritating than anything else.