Guardian 24,453/Paul – pride of place

Posted by Andrew on July 29th, 2008

Andrew.

Paul’s name always tells us that the puzzle will be tough but fun, and so it was with this one. It looked particularly daunting at first with some long answers and lots of cross-references, but (as is often the case) it was fairly easy to spot the phrases once a few crossing letters were filled in, after which the rest yielded without too much trouble.

Key:
* – anagram
dd – double definition
< – reverse

1 BELONG To “Go together” is to belong, and if you’ll be back in five minutes then you won’t BE LONG
4 TEAM UP (PUMA ET)< Elliot was the boy who befriended ET in Spielberg’s film
10,1d,15 PRIDE COMES BEFORE A FALL Why LIONS then DROP
11 PROSIT PRO SIT
12 LANDSEER The lookout in the crow’s nest might “see land”. Sir Edwin Landseer (1802-1873), British artist, famous for animal paintings such as “The Monarch of the Glen”; more relevantly for this puzzle, he also sculpted the lions in Trafalgar Square.
13 SALT WATER WAT in (prayer)S ALTER
17,23,24 PUT THE CAT AMONG THE PIGEONS Trafalgar Square is famous for its pigeons, as well as Landeer’s lions
21 FURLOUGH FUR LO(ng) UGH
22 ELAPSE A P in ELSE
25 OVUM OV is V O (very round) “on the contrary”, and UM is “I’m not sure”
27 KNIGHT (blac)K NIGHT – and the chess piece can be black or white
2 LIONS N in SOIL<
3 NAPHTHA NAP (pile) HT HA! “Oil” is the definition: apparently crude oil was formerly known as naphtha, but the word now refers to various products derived from oil.
5 EXEUNT = “They leave the stage”. EX TUNE*
6 MOONSCAPE (COMPOSE AN)* – well-hidden anagram
8 WILLIE RUSHTON (SILLIER NUT WHO)* Appropriate anagram for Willie Rushton, who was famous for his appearances on “I’m Sorry, I Haven’t a Clue” until his untimely death in 1996, but also had a distinguished career as actor, cartoonist and satirist, being a founder of Private Eye and a performer on “That Was The Week That Was”
14 TOODLE-PIP Spoonerism of POODLE TIP
16 DAUPHIN (U AND HIP)* – U = “posh” (as in U and non-U)
19 ASSAULT SAUL in A ST. Paul the Saint not the Setter.. St Paul was known as Saul (of Tarsus) before his conversion on the road to Damascus, but the Saul here is the King from the OT.
20 BUDGIE I in BUDGE

10 Responses to “Guardian 24,453/Paul – pride of place”

1. Uncle Yap says:

10A etc
    A group of lions is called a pride and a drop is a fall
    Paul is always great fun and he is also very fair

Thanks for a great blog, Andrew. [Uncle Yap, I think Andrew’s ‘Why’ re 10ac. was a quote from the clue rather than a question.] A tough welcome home from holiday but fun, as you say. I’m a bit rusty – 7dn appears to be PRE-DEAL but why?

As a huge admirer of Willie Rushton [I’m old enough to remember TW3!] I loved 8dn – a great & lit!

3. Pat says:

I’m sure 7d is PRE-SELL, SEll being a homophone for cell, as in room.

Terrific puzzle, and a good blog too

4. Andrew says:

Welcome back, Eileen, hope you had a good holiday.

I agree with Pat about 7d. One of the less exciting clues in the puzzle, I thought.

Thanks, Pat and Andrew – of course! Great holiday, thank you, but obviously too much Burgundian wine!

6. beermagnet says:

Coincidence corner.
    Outside my home/office window I have several bird feeders and various tits, finches, parakeets etc. are a pleasure to watch. Birds are messy eaters and there are plenty of bits of nut and seed on the ground. Pigeons have discovered these and there is usually a half-dozen or so pecking about below. We do not have cats and there are not many cats around here, but this morning I was about half-way through this crossword when an unknown young tabby appeared from nowhere and lunged for the pigeons. After checking that there were no casualties and that the cat had gone I turned to tackle 17,23,24 …

7. Dan says:

re: 4ac

Joe Puma was an American jazz guitarist who was in a band (the Joe Puma Quintet) with a chap called Don Elliot.

Coincidence?

8. Geoff says:

10ac etc had me stumped for a while because I recall the proverb as ‘pride GOES before a fall” – it is a precis of the biblical lines (Proverbs, King James Version): “Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall”.

Good fun, as ever, but quite a toughie – unlike Saturday’s Araucaria. Anyone else find that one unexpectedly straightforward?

9. Stuart says:

Hello. Why does ‘cut a dash’ = ‘drop’? 16 ac

10. Andrew says:

It’s a double definition:
    cut = drop, (as in “Drop the Dead Donkey” for example)
    And a “dash” of tonic in your gin is a “drop”.