Independent 6,797/Virgilius

Posted by Ali on July 29th, 2008

Ali.

I found this pretty tough going, not least because I completely failed to see what was going on until very late on. The theme is the Old Testamant (6D), books of which can be found scattered around the grid. I counted 7 after a quick Wiki (Job, Genesis, Kings, Ruth, Numbers, Samuel and Judges). I guess that 3D is also related. Not sure if John, Peter and Agnes have any thematic connection, though they all appear elsewhere in The Bible I’m sure.

1 JERICHO – A reference to the Biblical battle (as described in the OT)
5 SET FAIR – SET,FAIR
9 BARBARISM – BARB + IS in ARM
11 POULT – “You”,L in POT
12 SHELL TOP – HE’LL in STOP
14 STREAK – R in STEAK
17 ROMANS – A nice double def. ‘Roman’ is the French word for novel
22 FLAVOUR – L in FAVOURS
22 AGNES – [-champ]AGNES – The ‘doesn’t sound like that!’ part presuambly refers the fact that the name AGNES is pronounced “AG-NESS”, whereas the drink sounds like “SHAM PAIN”
25 ODOUR - O,DOUR
29 DATA SET – AT AD rev.,SET

1 JOB - A crime as in ‘bank job’
2 RORQUAL – Hidden in feaR OR QUALms
3 CHAPTER AND VERSE – (ADVENT PREACHER’S)*
4 OTIOSITY – (IS IT TOO)*,[-da]Y – A new word for me
5 SAMUEL – (US MALE)*
6 THE OLD TESTAMENT – Our theme. ‘Willing’ as in writing a (last) will (and testament)
7 ABALONE – AB,ALONE – ‘turns to..’ doesn’t seem to sit right here as no part of the clue involves a reversal
8 RUTH – RUT,H
11 PETER – Ref. Beatrix Potter and Prokofiev
16 CLOSETED – CLOSE,TED
16 MALCOLM – CO in MALL,M
20 GENESIS – (SEEING)*,S[-ummer]
27 POT – P,OT

7 Responses to “Independent 6,797/Virgilius”

1. Richard says:

7 Down I think “turns to” may mean “becomes” here.

2. Colin Blackburn says:

Romans is also a book in the NT.

3. NealH says:

I wasn’t really very convinced by shell top – “he will cut and finish outside garment”. Assuming “outside garment” is the definition, it’s really “he will cut finish”. How you justify the “and” ? That threw me off the scent completely.

4. Colin Blackburn says:

12ac if ‘garment’ is the definition, might it not be read as,
    ‘he will cut’ = HE’LL
    ‘and finish outside’ S(HELL)TOP

5. Paul B says:

Yes, it could be the (somewhat optional) ellipsis indicator.

It might not be ‘somewhat optional’ at The Times, whence (spiritually) comes the boy Virgilius.

6. Judy Bentley says:

Could someone please explain 9a a bit more thoroughly for dumbos like me?

7. beermagnet says:

9A Spike is inserted in weapon, showing such savagery (9) BARBARISM
    BARB (Spike) then IS (inserted in) ARM (weapon); whole thing means savagery.