Guardian 24,451 – Araucaria

cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

Yet another entertaining Saturday puzzle from the Master. You always get a sense of achievement when you complete one of his puzzles even though I only got 8Down using Chambers.

1 CHINA
SHOP Ins of I Nash in CHOP (sack). Richard (Beau) Nash (1674-1762) was a celebrated dandy and leader of fashion in 18th-century Britain.
6 EMILY Ins of M1 (One of the largest motorways in Europe described as road) in ELY (see, a cathedral town) and, of course, a sister of Anne Bronte
9 CAPON Cap on
10,15 WUTHERING HEIGHTS Ins of The Ring (one of Wagner’s works) in WUH (rev Hu, A Welsh boy’s name, W = with) + Eights (8’s). Wuthering Heights is Emily Brontë’s only novel. It was first published in 1847 under the pseudonym Ellis Bell (see 28 Across)
11 ANTIBIOTIC Cha of ANT (insect) + ins of B in and removal of D from IDIOTIC (very stupid)
12 THOR ha
14 CONSOLE cd
17 ASEPTIC Cha of A SEPT (month) I/C (in charge)
19 NATURAL dd
20 LOCK cd The other lock being found in canal system
22 HEATHCLIFF The male lead in WH
25 TARQUINIA Ins of Quin (one of five) I (first) in Tara (Scarlett Ohara’s home in Gone with the Wind) Tarquinia, formerly Corneto and in Antiquity Tarquinii, is an ancient city in the province of Viterbo, Lazio, Italy.
26 FRAUD Frau + D (Deutschland)
27 EASEL Ease (stand at ease) L (live)
28 ELLIS BELL Ins of IS S (second) in ELL-ELL (measures); Emily Bronte’s pseudonym

1 COCOA Co-co (companies or firms) A
2 IMPOTENCE Ins of OT (to change) in IM (one thousand) pence. Ten quid will get you 1000 pees.
3 ANNE BRONTE Ins of N(i)NE + Bro (brother) in ANTE (stake)
4 HOW COME My favourite clue of the set. How come no water closet in the home? What a quaint olde worlde word for loo, gents, rest room, bog, et al
5 PETTISH Sounds like petition without the final syllable
6 EDEN E (English) (gar)DEN
7 IRISH Iris (Murdoch) H (the last letter of Murdoch) The irish are said to be always happy and luck; how true that is, I have no idea
8 YGGDRASIL When I came to this last clue, I fed the letter into my electronic Chambers and hey presto! out came Yggdrasil, Yggdrasill or Ygdrasil noun the ash tree binding together heaven, earth and hell, and extending its branches over the whole world and above the heavens.
I have absolutely no idea how one pronounces this word
13 FISTICUFFS Ins of IC (99 in Roman numerals) in FI(=some fighting)
+ STUFFS (forces)
14 CHARLOTTE Ins of harlot (not a good girl) in CTE (rev of etc, the rest)
16 HURRICANE *(urchin are)
18 CLEANSE Ins of Leans (is inclined) in CE (church)
19 NETBALL A game that requires you to net the ball
21 CERES ha
23 FIDEL *(field)
24 BULL cd of the investor hopeful of rising prices. Beware of him in a china shop (see 1 across)

6 Responses to “Guardian 24,451 – Araucaria”

1. Dave Ellison says:

I agree, a very enjoyable Araucaria.

Yggdrasil is from Norse mythology, the tree of life, with a goat nibbling away in its branches, if I remember correctly.

2. Val says:

28a – this doesn’t quite work because it is ELLIS BELL, so only one S. I could see BELL as a measure because of its use as a measure of time in a nautical sense but that doesn’t account for the “second” in the clue.

5d – is it fair to have PETTISH as a homophone for petition when there is no indication of the word being shortened?

3. mhl says:

There was a nice bit of misdirection in 10 across, since the mention of “8’s” in the context of the Wagner-flavoured surface meaning led me to assume the 8 meant Yggdrasil rather than EIGHT :)

4. beermagnet says:

Val, I think both 28A and 5D work OK.
    In 28A “second” is used to clue the letter B (second letter) and the measures are both ELLs. So the subsidiary part of the clue “is second among measures” gives ELL-IS-B-ELL
    In 5D there is “with an” in the clue that gives us the full homophone:
    Moody and irritable with an appeal to be signed when heard (7)
    “Moody and irritable” is the def.
    “with an” tells us to think of PETTISH-AN which sounds like “appeal to be signed when heard”

5. Epee Sharkey says:

I believe Yggdrasil pronounces as IG – DRASS-ILL or maybe IG-DRESS-ILL for the original blog author (Uncle Yap), who is unclear how to pronounce it.

This was easier than recent Araucarias for me, got Emily first – that triggered the rest of the theme.

My one quibblet was 2 Dn – I figured out Impotence as the answer quickly enough, then spent ages trying to convince myself that it fitted the subsid (eventually realising 1000 P = £10. So the subsid is very clever, but…. does Inability really define as Impotence ? A very small quibble, I guess Powerless to change ….. would have made the whole thing too easy.

6. Val says:

Thanks, Beermagnet. It all makes sense now.