Independent 6,804

Posted by Ali on August 6th, 2008

Ali.

Silly me, I forgot that I’d be nowhere near a PC all day today, so I set about solving this one online at midnight in a bid to get it blogged before bed. As I write/post this, I’ve no idea who the setter is, but it was done and dusted by 12.20am, with no major probs along the way. There’s no Nina that I can see, so I’m guessing it might be Dac. There are some fairly odd/obscure answers in the bottom half though, which always makes me wary, so I’ll have an each-way side bet on it being a Virgilius special that’s gone over my head.

1 HEARTY – Double def – As in “Ahoy, me hearty”
4 SWAPPING – S,WAPPING – Cheeky, as Wapping is in the East End!
9 NEPALI – I,LA,PEN rev.
10 GRUESOME – [-corps]E in (MORGUES)* – A nice &lit
12 GET AROUND – GET A ROUND!
14 INTELLIGENT – IN,”telly”,GENT
18 GO TO THE WALL
21 OVETT – O,VET,T
22 EARLIER ON – (NEAR LOIRE)*
24 CHAPATTI – CHAP,ATTI[-c]
26 SCHILLER – S,CHILLER

1 HANDGRIP – HAND,GRIP
2 AMPUTATE – “Cut off” is the definition here, but not sure about the wordplay
3 TILER – RELIT rev.
5 WORLD BEATERS – (WAR BOLSTERED)*
6 PRESENTEE – PRESENT,E,E
7 IMOGEN – MOG,[saf]E in IN
11 MUSIC THEATRE – (ARTISTE MUCH,E)*
15 LIGHT RAIL – LIGHT (get off),RAIL (complain)
16 MARRIAGE – RI (Rhode Island) in MARGE (Homer’s better half)
17 ALAN LADD – I’m guessing that ‘visiting’ is the container indicator here, giving us LAND in A LAD
19 DORCAS – Hidden in fooD OR CASh – Had never seen this word before – “in the Bible (Acts 9.36), the name of a woman famous for good works” says Chambers
20 PESACH – S in PEACH – aka Passover

6 Responses to “Independent 6,804”

1. C G Rishikesh says:

2dn is PUT in A MATE.

2. neildubya says:

It’s a DAC.

The wordplay for 17 is A,LAN(LAD)D I think.

3. NealH says:

I was slightly unconvinced about handgrip. I assume it’s help=hand, member of (film) crew=grip, but that leaves bag=handgrip. I would have thought a handgrip was part of a bag, rather than the whole thing. Alternatively, the definition is “to get bag”, which means handgrip being used as a verb and I’ve never heard of that before.

4. NealH says:

Thinking about it some more, I suppose it must be a definition based on what the object does, as in “I’m used to get bag”.

5. Barbara says:

I think the wordplay for handgrip is:
    def. is help. (a handgrip helps one to get a hold on something)
    member of a crew is: hand, and a bag is a grip.

6. eimi says:

Handgrip confused me at first too, but Collins and COED confirmed that it is also a name for a bag.