Guardian, 24462/Paul

Posted by mhl on August 8th, 2008

mhl.

A fun golf-themed crossword from Paul (one of my favourite Guardian setters) with a few of his rather suggestive clues as usual. :) There’s lots to enjoy in this puzzle, but I particularly liked 18a, 16d and 19d.

4 TOSS-UP: “Manx [tailless] cat” = TO(M), “back to back” with PUSS reversed
6 NIJINSKY: J in NI (“in spinning”) + IN SKY = “held high” for the ballet dancer Nijinsky. I think the “in” is doing double duty here, unless I’ve missed something? Oops – thanks to Andrew for correcting me here: it’s just J IN reversed.
9 PLAYER: The golfer Gary Player
10 SEA TROUT: “bottom” = SEAT + “good licking” = ROUT
11 CAULIFLOWER: “pot half gone” = CAUL(DRON) + IF LOWER
15 STRANGE: Another golfer, Scott Strange. Update: This was more likely to be a reference to Curtis Strange, as Superdad points out in the comments
17 OBSCENE: OB is an outside broadcast, so OB SCENE might be a “sequence filmed away from the studio”
18 PERISHABLES: Lovely definition (“They won’t keep”) and surface reading. The subsidiary is (HIS BEER PALS)*
22 ABORTIVE: IT R reversed in ABOVE
23 MOTION: N in LAGER for Bernhard Langer
24 Omitted according to the site’s policy

1 HUMERI: HUM + ERI(C)
2 TIGER WOODS: “a formidable competitor” = TIGER, and WOODS are some of Tiger Woods‘s tools
3 BITTERNS: “Birds” is the definition, with subsidiary “pecked” = BIT + “others” = TERNS
4 TYPECAST: “Class” = TYPE + 9s (players) = CAST
5 STATUARY: A collection of statues, from TU (“heart of nature”) in (ART SAY)*
7,25 SHOT PUTTER: “took out” = SHOT, and then I’m assuming that 9 21 (“golf player”) is PUTTER as in “one who putts”
8 YETI: A fun clue: “but I?” for YET I
12 LEE TREVINO: (NEVER LIE TO)* for another golfer. This was the last one I got, since despite the construction being quite clear (and knowing the golfer) the second word looked as if it was going to be DRIVING…
13 Omitted according to the site’s policy
14 MEASURER: The definition is “Might one rule”, with the subsidiary AS ER around UR (= “old city”) under ME
16 NEPOTISM: MS = “Paper” (an abbreviation of manuscript) with I TO PEN, reversed
19 ABACUS: A BAC(CH)US – another great clue
20 FAIR: “The way of 21″ as in “fairway” and if “not cricket” is UNFAIR then “not not cricket” is FAIR
21 GOLF: “Beat up” is FLOG reversed, and golf is “hitting [in] balls with clubs”. I guess the “in” is just there to make the surface reading more painful… Update: in the comments below, owenjonesuk points out that you hit the ball “in” the hole.

10 Responses to “Guardian, 24462/Paul”

1. Mick h says:

I wonder if this was meant to run a few weeks ago? The Indy had a golf-themed puzzle timed for the start of the Open, which seemed timelier. Nice puzzle though, with some fun clues.
    I suppose when the Guardian goes online free next month, with a ‘cheat’ function like the Indy’s, we can blog all the clues if we like.

2. Superdad says:

Strange Golfers… the better known is Curtis Strange. At least to me.

3. Andrew says:

Mick – personally I wish the cheat functions were disabled until the solution has been published (as they are for prize puzzles). I prefer not to have the temptation. And I see what you mean about the timing – an Olympic themse would have been more appropriate.

6ac – I don’t think there’s any double duty here: “Jack in spinning” = (J IN) rev – NIJ, “held high” = IN SKY. My Granny once saw Nijinsky dance and used to say “he seemed to fly”.

Altogether a most enjoyable puzzle, and most of the golfing references were not too obscure (apart from STRANGE, who I hadn’t heard of but was easy to guess).

4. mhl says:

Thanks, Superdad – he’s much more likely. I’ve updated the post to reflect that.

Mick H: yes, I suppose so. I wonder how many people actually call the premium rate numbers anyway? I’ve never heard of anyone doing so…

5. mhl says:

Thanks, Andrew – I should have spotted that.

6. owenjonesuk says:

21 ac – the ‘in’ isn’t superfluous. The aim of golf is to hit the ball IN to the hole.

The actual golfers were largely over my head – I didn’t understand PLAYER or STRANGE fully till I checked here. And I had to google Lee Trevino, though I spotted the anagram.

I was looking for an olympic theme.

7. mhl says:

Hmm… in my experience “hitting in” isn’t quite so idiomatic in golf in the same way as “chipping in”, “tapping in”, etc. would be, but I take your point – I hadn’t thought of that.

8. Barbara says:

I would welcome having all the answers explained. It seems that there is frequently an answer which puzzles me, and that’s usually of the answers not discussed.
    As for the “cheat” button: Since solving a puzzle isn’t a competition, I thing it should be retitled “peek” or “reveal”, as in the Indy. There’s nothing cheating about reverting to a reference source and adding to one’s store of information. I find I learn something new almost every time I do a puzzle. Now that’s entertainment!

9. John says:

Strictly speaking 7,25 reads “shot player golf”, which makes no sense, although it’s guessable.
    In 21 dn, “Beat up, hitting balls with clubs” would be better.
    All in all pretty straightforward for Paul.

10. Pricklywedge says:

I never do at well with Paul, but this puzzle I thoroughly enjoyed; 15ac made me laugh out loud on the commuter train. I was left with only two unsolved – a new record for me with Paul.