Independent 6801/Nestor

Posted by neildubya on August 8th, 2008

neildubya.

I found this mostly quite easy but the bottom left-hand corner gave me no end of difficulties. Eventually I filled in 20, 15 and 16 without really knowing why, along with 21.

8 [-b]RUNO,[-l]UTON
10 THERE’S NO TELLING – a “teller” is someone who works in bank so “telling” must be what they do.
12 (ROBE SO WHAT)* – SHOWBOATER.
13 BO[-o]HO[-o] – a shortened version of “bohemian”, which is close synonym of “beatnik”.
14 (PETES)*,IN – Brian EPSTEIN was the manager of the Beatles and Paul MacCartney himself described him as the “fifth Beatle”. It’s quite a famous phrase now I think so this made the clue very easy (for me).
17 hidden reversed in “mediCINES RArely”
20 RUMP – another word for “butt” but why “softly”?
21 MISDEALING – “improper distribution” is the definition and “West London borough” is EALING but I can’t explain where MISD- comes from. Have I got this one wrong?
23 BECAUSE IT’S THERE – George Mallory’s now famous response when asked why he wanted to climb Everest.
25 S(CREW)Y – deceptive definition in “touched” (a colloquialism for “slightly mad”).
26 A,F,FE(ETC<)D – another meaning of “touched”.

1 B(RUT)US – very simple clue but this took me ages to get.
2 LOP in (SEVEN)* – ENVELOPS.
4 (ON BUM I TAKE IN)* – MOUNTAIN BIKE. Excellent, and amusing &lit.
5 HAZE – sounds like (Isaac) “Hayes”
6 ILL (going up) in FABLE
7 SHANGHAI – the definition is “trick” but I can’t work out the wordplay: “Trick (hands) into endless sea journey?”
15 PRUDE,NCE – not really sure about this one either: “Victorian person showing discrimination overlooking one’s discretion”. If “Victorian person” is PRUDE then “showing discrimination overlooking one’s” must account for NCE somehow.
16 TAP WATER – and another one I don’t get: “What’s piped into bath could make foam it it’s not 11″ (the answer at 11 is THE HARD STUFF)
18 START,RE,K
19 (TO SEE TIN)* – NOISETTE.
22 GRE(ED)Y
24 STY,X

8 Responses to “Independent 6801/Nestor”

1. Geoff Moss says:

15d The ‘NCE’ comes from ‘N[i]CE’.

2. Geoff Moss says:

16d Possibly a straight clue. Water that is ‘hard’ does not readily make a lather or foam but soft water does.

3. Barbara says:

20. I think the answer is bum p.
    Bum and butt are both synonyms of one’s rear end.
    Butt softly means to bump.

4. Barbara says:

21. mi(s)dealing
    S = succeeded in mid Ealing

5. Geoff Moss says:

7d Double definition. Shanghai is ‘to trick into performing an unpleasant task’ and also ‘to drug or make drunk and send to sea as a sailor’. ‘Hands’ are workers on a ship.

6. nmsindy says:

Not entirely convinced about 7d. Thought the endless sea journey might be SAIL less L which then contains HANGH but could not get the rest.

7. Paul B says:

Is it, ahem, a dbl def cum &lit ref card game and abduction? I can’t quite fathom (!) it either.

8. eimi says:

Re: 7D, the whole is an &lit. Hang = trick as in knack, H = hands (in COED), in SAI(l), as Nmsindy spotted. You know you’re going to have to work a bit with a Saturday Nestor.